EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:13 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
You would be correct.
Sounds like a good project for a rainy day like today. Go tear that thing off you'll be riding by the time the sun comes out.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:23 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by kp877
Sounds like a good project for a rainy day like today. Go tear that thing off you'll be riding by the time the sun comes out.
It would be except for one thing.
He has no over head cover.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:57 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Does anyone know out there is there was a filter system on the motor that the EVO evolved from. (Pan, then Knuckle, then EVO I think ) Was there a external filter on the Pan or Knuckle) Would not hurt to leave filter on. The Harley filter you put on, did it say 5 or 10 micron. Know when mine was designed, it called for a 10 but Harleys replacement is 5. That is what the WIX is a 5. 5 micron = .0002 ... A 10 micron = .0004 .... A sheet of school white notebook paper is .002
Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo
Only use filters for EVO. Do not use the 5 micron Twinkie filter.

Old 04-07-2015 | 10:04 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i dropped it off. they said its gonna be about a week till they can get to it but they will let me know.
ran out of gas in the rain on the way there. that was awesome. glad for reserve

hey guys, whats a twinkie?

rice riders? white on the inside and yellow on the outside kinda deal?

Old 04-07-2015 | 10:08 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Twinkie = Twin Cam

Old 04-07-2015 | 10:40 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

sorry you guys don't understand I was trying to show him what the oil relief valve looked like, I couldn't find a better pic, but it should be good enough to know what a OIL RELIEF VALVE looked like.maybe I should have added location will vary depending on motor., don't wanna check it fine, but with the symptoms he is having thats the first place I would look. I would guess since the light was on before he replaced the filter , the problem isn't with the new filter. Since the motor hasn't locked up either the pressure is low due to the valve stuck open and not being able to force the oil through the filter media it is bypassing the filter, but still moving enough oil to keep the motor partially lubricated.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 04-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:56 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
sorry you guys don't understand I was trying to show im what the oil relief valve look like, i couldn't find a better pic but it should be good enough to know what a OIL RELIEF VALVE looked like. the valve not the whole plate, don't wanna check it fine, but with the symptoms he is having thats the first place I would look.
So you figured showing him the oil relief valve for a Twinkie would steer him in the right direction despite the fact he has an Evo? Right, that wouldn't be confusing at all for a new Harley owner. Why not show him a diagram of a Shovelhead points and condenser? Maybe how to properly kickstart a Panhead?

I'm not trying to go out of my way to be a dick here, but good grief there's as much bad info in this thread as the op-ed section of The Huffington Post. I'm no Evo expert, but I actually own one. I've never owned or wrenched on a Twin Cam so you better believe I won't be telling someone what they need to do to fix cam chain tensioners or diagnose error codes or where the best place is to go for a Chrome Consultation.

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:11 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Ride never ends. Closest thing to a pressure relief valve on an old big twin oil pump. B

Last edited by sloufoot; 04-07-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 11:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

(Think this is now correct) Harley motors kept changing over the years. Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo (Evolution), Twin Cam (some call a twinkie or TC... there is also a TCb in the Softails that has two balance cams to balance the engine besides the twin valve cams). The first oil filter to come along was on the EVO probably due to competition. When the Twin Cam came along, Harley went to an internal oil pump and the oil thru the filter and then to the engine. Below attachments Balance cams on a TCb. EVO oil pump and oil feed system probably similar to your motor. There are two sets of gears that pumps in your oil. Since a Harley does not store the oil below the crank, (some does sling in there however since the pickup is not directly on the bottom) One set of gears pulls and pushes the oil thru the engine. It is finally dumped into bottom of motor. Then the other bigger more volume gears pull the oil off the bottom and drive it thru filter and back to oil tank (we call it the oil bag. Later Big cruisers and Dyna have this tank below transmission. Older bikes and Softails have this tank under the horseshoe shaped tank under the seat.

Attached Thumbnails just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how-balancer-twin-cam-.jpg   just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how-oil-system-91-flh_pump.jpg   just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how-oil-feed-system-evo.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-07-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 11:21 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior

hmmm, I've been using a the WIX 51215 and Mobil Synthetic V-Twin for years and haven't had any problems. I'd be interested to know what the post mortem on the filter the OP takes out determines.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how