Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Trouble shooting possible oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
MNroadglideguy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shooting possible oil issue

I have a 07 Road Glide. Long story short, Had to put some oil in it the other night and not being really to see I over filled it, and as usual all the bad things happened, oil blowing and smoking. The next morning, drained it (2 hrs to make sure it was all drained) and as per the manual put 3.5 quarts in. Every thing seemed fine until I was 5 miles from home and it started blowing and smoking again. Any ideas to what may be wrong? Breather? Oil line plugged? Thanks for any help!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

My guess is the residual oil in places it shouldn't have been is still burning off.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:46 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

3.5 quarts is too much even though the manual says thats what to fill it at. Ask me how I know. You will need to drain/suck some out. With oil change, I usually add two quarts, then add as needed until oil registers right. When cold you want oil to register in the between the fill and full marks, no more than half way to full. When hot at normal operating temp, you want the oil to register at the full mark or a little lower. Also make sure you do all this on the jiffy stand and not with the bike standing straight upright.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

All holes have a LEVEL to which oil should be filled! In your case it's the dipstick. You only need 3.5 quarts to hand when refilling, don't just chuck it in!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
MNroadglideguy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:26 PM
Stan Proffett
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jif

[QUOTE=baloot-boy;13193004]3.5 quarts is too much even though the manual says thats what to fill it at. Ask me how I know. You will need to drain/suck some out. With oil change, I usually add two quarts, then add as needed until oil registers right. When cold you want oil to register in the between the fill and full marks, no more than half way to full. When hot at normal operating temp, you want the oil to register at the full mark or a little lower. Also make sure you do all this on the jiffy stand and not with the bike standing straight upright.[/QUOTE 06 SG has no jiffy stand

The following users liked this post:
Ben221 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:31 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Sounds over-full, unless the crankcase is containing excess oil, ie sumping.
Scott

Old 04-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 976 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by MNroadglideguy
I have a 07 Road Glide. Long story short, Had to put some oil in it the other night and not being really to see I over filled it, and as usual all the bad things happened, oil blowing and smoking. The next morning, drained it (2 hrs to make sure it was all drained) and as per the manual put 3.5 quarts in. Every thing seemed fine until I was 5 miles from home and it started blowing and smoking again. Any ideas to what may be wrong? Breather? Oil line plugged? Thanks for any help!
You need to run it on the jiffy stand for a minimum of a minute prior to draining the oil. If you had it really overfull, there was most likely excess oil in the breather system and/or you didn't run it on the jiffty stand and evacuate the crank case.

3.5 quarts is not too much on a dry fill on a bagger. Scott makes a good point, but if everything was fine until the overfill, I wouldn't freak out just yet.

Ben221 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Cool

6 year old post chaps! C-19 has struck again I suspect. I will simply repeat my mantra that all the oil reservoirs on our bikes have a dip-stick or other guide for checking level, the stated quantities are only for guidance, not to be used blindly.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-15-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 976 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
6 year old post chaps! C-19 has struck again I suspect. I will simply repeat my mantra that all the oil reservoirs on our bikes have a dip-stick or other guide for checking level, the stated quantities are only for guidance, not to be used blindly.
Well damn, lol

grbrown (04-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Trouble shooting possible oil issue