Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

HELP full throttle when starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM
jdl2430
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP full throttle when starting

I have a 1977 sportster. It was my dads, and I don't know a whole lot about it. Its been sitting for about 6 years and I wanted to get it going again. I got a battery and was able to get it starting. It didn't run right so I thought id clean the carb. I went out and bought a kit and replaced all the rubber pieces and I cleaned it. To take the carb off I had to take off the intake, because the coil blocks the upper nut. I put everything back on. When I started it, it sounded like it was full throttle so I turned it off. I started it again and it happened again. I don't know if I messed something up while rebuilding the carb? Or maybe the throttle cable? Or a leak in the intake? I have no idea.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:39 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if you had an intake leak, although I think by '77 they had the rubber band type seals and not the o-rings; the bands are a little more forgiving. Take the air cleaner off and ch3ck the cable adjustment first, make sure the butterfly throttle valve (I'm assuming stock carb? Or maybe S&S Super B or E?) snaps closed when you twist the throttle and then let it go. You may have a 2 cable system. In this case, one pulls the throttle open; the other pulls it closed. It should still snap closed on its own. Having one or hoth cables too tight can cause a problem, as can a worn out cable.