Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Do I have a bad lifter? feels stuck on hydro spring part

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
SportbikeCO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a bad lifter? feels stuck on hydro spring part

After reassembling the cam side on my 96" EVO I was going over it checking everything and noticed something disturbing.

On the intake lifters you can stick your finger down through the tappet block and push on the little internal part of the lifter that pumps up under pressure and feel the spring move a bit. On both exhaust lifters they are hard as a rock (or stuck or something ???? ) I mean it is solid, I even took a pushrod and put it in place and pushed down and it didnt budge.

They looked the same to me while they were out and look the same from the top (all have clips holding in the internals)

What gives? I cleaned them all pretty good and lubed them up with red assembly lube during the install. I also have a little bottle of oil and had squirted oil down into the lifters through the hole that would go through the pushrod hole after assembly.

Engine was running EV59 cam, SE heads.