Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Best Source for Bottom End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Source for Bottom End Rebuild

Hey guys I have got my hands on a bike that has a SE 103 motor thats blown. The rods and bearings are toast. The amount of metal that was taken out of the oil tank makes me not want to use anything but the case at this point. Where is a good place to source and new bottom end minus the case? I am not looking to go ***** crazy with the motor maybe just a 107 and cams. The heads are still good and the jugs look ok. I am going to put new pistons and rings in as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by socialoutcast
Hey guys I have got my hands on a bike that has a SE 103 motor thats blown. The rods and bearings are toast. The amount of metal that was taken out of the oil tank makes me not want to use anything but the case at this point. Where is a good place to source and new bottom end minus the case? I am not looking to go ***** crazy with the motor maybe just a 107 and cams. The heads are still good and the jugs look ok. I am going to put new pistons and rings in as well.
What year SE? A or B motor?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer

Originally Posted by BVBOB
What year SE? A or B motor?
Its out of a Deuce so I am assuming its a B. I am not sure of the exact year but I think 06.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That particular crank if it is an 06 had rods with the small tapered bronze bushed rods, I would suggest a rework with H-beam rods. Silvermoon cycle does a great job on cranks and is very affordable.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

www.darkhorsecrankworks.com, a division of Hoban Bros, since 1980.
10629 Hwy 42, Newton WI, 53063.
Scott

The following 2 users liked this post by Hillsidecycle.com:
2013_FLHTK (11-15-2020), Jackie Paper (11-12-2020)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

A 2006 Deuce has an 88" motor, so I am not connecting the SE103 motor with a 2006 Deuce.

Having said that, both vendors previously mentioned are good but there is a third, R&R Cycles

http://rrcycles.com/cart/index.php?m...ort=20a&page=2

I would give them all a call but would first figure out what motor and crank you have and let the vendors make suggestions. JMHO, but I would be sending the complete lower unit and let the vendor machine and fit Timken crank bearing and repair or replace the crank. Should the crank be a 4" stroke, I would consider replacing it with a 4.375" stroke crank.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
A 2006 Deuce has an 88" motor, so I am not connecting the SE103 motor with a 2006 Deuce.

Having said that, both vendors previously mentioned are good but there is a third, R&R Cycles

http://rrcycles.com/cart/index.php?m...ort=20a&page=2

I would give them all a call but would first figure out what motor and crank you have and let the vendors make suggestions. JMHO, but I would be sending the complete lower unit and let the vendor machine and fit Timken crank bearing and repair or replace the crank. Should the crank be a 4" stroke, I would consider replacing it with a 4.375" stroke crank.
Yeah I am going to be pulling the #s from the motor when I get it in my hands. Agreed with the 4" stroke move to 4.375".

Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We perform those Timken conversions, and have even repaired that area in Evo's and Shovels from years ago.
Very straightforward, nice looking work once completed.
4 3/8" S&S replacement crank is another common-place occurance here, that combined with a 3.937" bore and your right into a 107".
Scott

Old 05-28-2014, 12:45 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silvermoon is who I went with. The price was the best out of the big three with R&R being the highest. I have not received my crank back yet so I can't speak to the quality yet, but I will say that the communication isn't great i.e. slow. He seems to be a decent guy though.

Originally Posted by BVBOB
That particular crank if it is an 06 had rods with the small tapered bronze bushed rods, I would suggest a rework with H-beam rods. Silvermoon cycle does a great job on cranks and is very affordable.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Fatt Tony
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Silvermoon

Hey I've seen silvermoon mentioned a couple times. I have a 2003 TC88 with a bad crank. I want to do the Timkin conversion as well, but the crank that came out has a sticky spot every few revolutions of the rods.

Anyway, manly looking for contact info for Mike at Silvermoon if he's still machining cranks and cases.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Best Source for Bottom End Rebuild