Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Initial thoughts on cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Initial thoughts on cam upgrade

Just completed a cam upgrade on my 2010 street glide. Went with Andrews 48 cams, S&S adjustable pushrods and CompCams lifters. Im running a TTS SE AC, and fullsac 2-1-2 X pipe with 2" recored baffles.

A member from the forum had a very similar build and sent me a map he used. It seems to be pretty close as theres no popping and backfiring so far.

First thing right off the bat that i notice is the sound. Much louder, deeper and more beastly.

Im on the fence as far as gains by the seat of the pants. Seemed before the cam upgrade the bike had a smoother rubber band type acceleration and pull.

Now it sounds and pulls like an old muscle car. You can feel the power as it builds up and kicks in, but it doesnt quite seem as smooth as before.

As far as torque and hp Ill know better once I get one of my buds from work to race on down the road.

Curious to hear others opinions with similar type builds and upgrades.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

A good tune will get you off the fence. You cannot judge the performance based on any map, even one that is from a similar build. You spent the $$ for the performance, now spend a few more to get it right and get it tuned before you race anyone. The motor is not delivering the TQ/HP on tap.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
A good tune will get you off the fence. You cannot judge the performance based on any map, even one that is from a similar build. You spent the $$ for the performance, now spend a few more to get it right and get it tuned before you race anyone. The motor is not delivering the TQ/HP on tap.

X2^^^^^^ proper tune and you should have nice street manners as well

Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

So two similar bikes with similar upgrades in pipes, cams, ci motor etc
his 2010 ultra 96ci with big breather and jackpot 2- 1 -2 exhaust, Andrews 48 cams.
I have 2010 flhx96ci see ac, performance 2-1 -2 with Andrews 48.
Is it safe to say that the builds are so close they both should run relatively good and close? That is until I can get it to tuner.
Im going to try and start some vtunes today if I can break away on lunch and see if I can get a good base foundation for my trip this weekend. Bike runs good and pulls strong, but I kinda think I hear a slight knocking.
I have a 10 hour trip each way this weekend and want to make sure I have a decent enough map or tune that wont damage the bike. and I know, Never ever do mods like this before a trip.

Last edited by SmittyFXDL; 05-21-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
So two similar bikes with similar upgrades in pipes, cams, ci motor etc
his 2010 ultra 96ci with big breather and jackpot 2- 1 -2 exhaust weigh
Andrews 48 cams.
I have 2010 flhx96ci see ac, performance 2-1 -2 with Andrews 48.
Is it safe to say that the builds are so close they both should run relatively good and close. But much tweaks well still be needed. Just don't want to blow the motor up.
ShOuld I just start with a base staying map and do some rest runs?
Would posting the file help?
Anthony, my bike is very similar to yours. 2010 Road King Classic, 96" with Andrews 48H cams, S/E Tapered Adjustable push rods, Fuel Moto 2-1-2, Reinhart 3" mufflers, Fuel Moto A/C and Power Vision Tuner.

My bike runs very strong, lots more torque and HP than Stage-1. There's no mistaking that the cam made a big difference. The bike is much smoother and pulls like a freight train. Very noticeable difference.

I have to believe your tune is off if you're not seeing similar results. This bike runs away from stage-1 103's.

We're running different tuners, but they have similar capabilities. Start with whichever map is running better, and run some vtunes until you can get it tuned. There are lots of knowledgable people here that can help with TTS tuning if you need assistance.

You should be seeing very noticeable differences with those cams.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Butts05Train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to highjack the thread. But will the sert tuner still work with a can upgrade? Plan on going with the 48's as well? And does anyone have their dyno sheets to see the outcome of this upgrade?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
So two similar bikes with similar upgrades in pipes, cams, ci motor etc his 2010 ultra 96ci with big breather and jackpot 2- 1 -2 exhaust, Andrews 48 cams. I have 2010 flhx96ci see ac, performance 2-1 -2 with Andrews 48.
Is it safe to say that the builds are so close they both should run relatively good and close?
No, not safe to say. You can't even expect the same map to perform equally on Stage I motors. Exhaust is a huge factor in tuning. You should be able to get pretty close with a few vtunes. I would definitely run the vtunes and tweak before taking off on the long ride you have planned.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If ya put 48 cams in and can't feel the extra power throughout the power range, Ya got a problem somewhere. My guess is the tune. But it could be off a tooth too???

Old 05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Starting some VTunes today after work. I have a question regarding the vtune flow chart on page 77 of the tuning guide. Once all changes are less than 5% it states to restore changes made in step 4A back to original values and program back into ecm.
Doesnt that defeat the purpose of all the vtunes?
Arent we running vtunes to dial in the info according to our motors and components?
Im also reading and following the TTS for Dummies by Wiz and have printed out for step by step procedure. Thanks for the heads up on using another bikes map. Ive been told that by my tuner a bunch of times but it didnt sink in until now.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Had about 5 vtunes completed since yesterday for normal in town riding to and from work and down some back roads. Cells are starting to look real good in the normal driving areas being mostly white and some lightest shade of pink. This is actually kind of fun.
Going to try and hit some open stretch of roads and highway today to round out the higher ends of the tables.
Bike is really starting to run good and Im glad its getting done the right way. The valvetrain is a bit noisier than before but I guess thats to be expected.
Appreciate all the sound advice and patience you guys have given me. Hope all this feedback helps the next guy doing cam upgrades and tuning.

Quick Reply: Initial thoughts on cam upgrade