Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

06 street glide cams, power, and probems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM
joes6point0
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 street glide cams, power, and probems

I bought a 2006 streetglide about a year ago and it has some work done but im not a 100% sure what it is, it has a cone style intake, thunderheader, and screamin eagle jugs. stock is an 88 and next to my dads 06 wideglide with the same base motor and v&h exhaust my bike has a lot more lope, Harley told me if it idles below 1000 rpm it could be cammed or just part of the tune. is there any signs I can look for before purchasing new cams, because im looking into converting to gear driven cams, and I have a slight ticking at idle when hot and Harley told me that could be gear driven cam noise. is the screamin eagle kit a big bore kit, or how can I tell? also I have a small leak between the cylinder and the block and I am gonna have it fixed within the next few weeks, while its torn down is there anything I should ask them to check while its apart to find out a little more? also ive been reading about the different cranks and how some are good and bad between years, does anyone know what mine has? and is there anything else I should upgrade while its apart?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

What happens to the paperwork for bikes when they change hands?! The only way you can be sure of finding out what is inside is to dismantle it. At the least remove the cams and heads, which will tell you if the pistons have been changed. You have a later crank, which you need to have checked for runout, before deciding to go with gear cams. If you are taking it to a competent shop they will know all the above, but talk things through with them.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by joes6point0
I bought a 2006 streetglide about a year ago and it has some work done but im not a 100% sure what it is, it has a cone style intake, thunderheader, and screamin eagle jugs. stock is an 88 and next to my dads 06 wideglide with the same base motor and v&h exhaust my bike has a lot more lope, Harley told me if it idles below 1000 rpm it could be cammed or just part of the tune. is there any signs I can look for before purchasing new cams, because im looking into converting to gear driven cams, and I have a slight ticking at idle when hot and Harley told me that could be gear driven cam noise. is the screamin eagle kit a big bore kit, or how can I tell? also I have a small leak between the cylinder and the block and I am gonna have it fixed within the next few weeks, while its torn down is there anything I should ask them to check while its apart to find out a little more? also ive been reading about the different cranks and how some are good and bad between years, does anyone know what mine has? and is there anything else I should upgrade while its apart?
All the Screaming Eagle cylinders listed in the catalog are big bore kits. In your case they should be 95". You'll be able to measure while it's apart to fix the base leak to verify cylinders and pistons. As far as cams go, there's no real way to tell without inspecting the cams. Idle speed won't tell you anything.

Are the cylinders marked Screaming Eagle? I know heads will say Screaming Eagle, but not sure about the cylinders.