Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Rocker arm assembly support bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Rocker arm assembly support bolts

How does one remove the two rear rocker arm support bolts that are underneath the frame on the left side of the rear cylinder? They contact the frame before they clear the assembly. Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Your frame and mine are the same. As I recall, you have to "walk" it out. Pull the back bolts up about half way,(maybe 3/4,) and then rock the rocker assembly out as a unit, turning it, not pulling it straight out so to speak. The bolts will not come out individually.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I am just curious. I'm in the middle of a cam swap and reusing the stock pushrods. I was able to lift the support and rotate the rocker arms 90 degrees so the pushrods cleared the rocker arms, but try as I might I couldn't remove the supports let alone trying to replace them when going back together. I had a hell of a time removing the cam cover too, wailing on it with a rubber mallet. I finally used a knife edged scraper in the lower right corner and tapped it in with a hammer and broke the seal. I hope to finish it today.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Sounds like a typical day working on an older HD! (BTW, when you're beatin' on the cam cover, leave a couple of loose bolts screwed in so that when it pops, it doesn't fall to the ground.)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Earlier models had two different length bolts. On later models I shorten the bolts on the left side (rear only) before I re-install them.

As Stiggy stated, leave the bolts in as you remove the support and in while re-installing the support.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On my Evo FXR I put a small Jack under the engine, then remove the from Engine Mount.

You can now lower the engine using the jack, which will give you heaps of working space. I tried doing it without lowering the motor and found it to be all but impossible.

As an aside it also makes removing those damn rear rocker cover bolts easier too.

Cheers

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the time they will clear but on some bikes there just is not enough room, I have a small plastic wedge I use between the rear rocker box and frame, otherwise you can simply have someone pry down gently with a rubber hammer handle and the assembly will come out easily.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I have an '02 FLHT and removing that rear rocker support plate has always been a challenge but it will come out as an assembly. When I get frustrated, I call the wife out to the garage and she can remove it in the time it takes me to open another beer.

Replace the old breathers with the later version which will come with shorter bolts. Improve the breathing and future R/R of the rear rocker support plate will be a snap. Don't forget to drill the oil drain holes in the bottom of the plate to .125" while you have the support plates out.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I have an '02 FLHT and removing that rear rocker support plate has always been a challenge but it will come out as an assembly. When I get frustrated, I call the wife out to the garage and she can remove it in the time it takes me to open another beer.

Replace the old breathers with the later version which will come with shorter bolts. Improve the breathing and future R/R of the rear rocker support plate will be a snap. Don't forget to drill the oil drain holes in the bottom of the plate to .125" while you have the support plates out.
Too late with the tip about drilling out the hole, I got it back together yesterday

Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We drill those on all installs here.
Scott