Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help!!! Rocker Arm Support Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
S-code
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Rocker Arm Support Plate

Im tearing the top end down on my 103" to add some wiseco 10.5:1's, .030 Cometic head gaskets, and some Woods 777's in the cam case. I am having my 16 year old son helping me. Were going to finish the work in the cam chest while the cylinders are getting torque plate honed. I took the tank off and got the exhaust and throttle body off and disconnected all pertinent connections. I drained the oil and took it with me to be disposed at autozone and get some assembly lube and other things I will need. I left my son alone to tinker while I was gone. I came back and he had removed the rocker boxes, upper and lower, with the rocker arm support plates. Bless his heart but he just went to town unbolting things and just unbolted them in a random unknown order and did not take the pressure off the con rods by putting the lifters on the cam base circle.

The support plates dont apear to be warped. What are the chances that they are damaged? What should I be concerned about?

Im dying a thousand deaths here worrying I need to now pick up some support plates.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by S-code
Bless his heart but he just went to town unbolting things and just unbolted them in a random unknown order and did not take the pressure off the con rods by putting the lifters on the cam base circle.

The support plates dont apear to be warped. What are the chances that they are damaged? What should I be concerned about?

Im dying a thousand deaths here worrying I need to now pick up some support plates.
I doubt very seriously that the rocker support plates have been damaged. However, if you are concerned, it would be very easy to check. Just place the support plate on a piece of glass, if warped, it will be obvious.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Support Plates

I have a fairly new set of support plates, PM me if interested.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 AM
S-code
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. Ill check the plates on a piece of mirror I have. If they are out of whack I will PM you Wally.

Thanks again

Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

One tip we'll share, is to enlarge the oil drain holes in that support plate to .125".
Make sure you set the compression at 10.4 for that 777 as well.
Scott

Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
S-code
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
One tip we'll share, is to enlarge the oil drain holes in that support plate to .125".
Make sure you set the compression at 10.4 for that 777 as well.
Scott
Thank you for the advice Scott! The plates appear to be ok after placing them on a mirror they are perfectly flat. Ill put them on the drill press and open the drainhole to 1/8".

The pistons are MTC 10.5:1. Going with the Cometic .030 headgasket.

I really appreciate this great advise from the master

Thanks again