Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Stock muffs= lean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
dynaratt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock muffs= lean?

Not really a problem as it is a observation to hear any thoughts cause im kinda baffled (no pun). I have a 01 EGlide, 95" 510 cams, some head work,intake,V&H exhaust bla,bla. Got her set up real nice jetting wise. As described its pretty loud and being its the 6:30am ride to work vehicle I decided to have mercy on the neighbor and their little girl so I removed the V&H Ovals and put back the stock non cat muffs. Now she spits out the carb when cold and more warm up is needed to get things rollin Thought this was pretty strange myself. Also surprised the stockers are quite a bit lighter in weight than the V&H's too.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That is strange. Sure is running lean. Is the weather cooler? Screw out the idle jet a half turn and see if that takes care or it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if anything, the mufflers would restrict air flow and make it run richer.. there would be no difference at idle, but mid/high range could suffer a little if its tuned to be free flowing. is it colder there this time of year? or have they switched to a different fuel mix?

spitting out of the carb is caused by timing being off, or a worn/leaking valve. neither would be caused by adding baffled mufflers, but it would cause running problems..
if it was tuned too lean with the porting and free flowing intake and exhaust, that can burn a valve causing it to run bad and spit fuel.
adding backpressure might amplify a preexisting problem.

Last edited by j1mmy; 12-13-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
if anything, the mufflers would restrict air flow and make it run richer.. there would be no difference at idle, but mid/high range could suffer a little if its tuned to be free flowing. is it colder there this time of year? or have they switched to a different fuel mix?

spitting out of the carb is caused by timing being off, or a worn/leaking valve. neither would be caused by adding baffled mufflers, but it would cause running problems..
if it was tuned too lean with the porting and free flowing intake and exhaust, that can burn a valve causing it to run bad and spit fuel.
adding backpressure might amplify a preexisting problem.
I believe he is talking about a lean cough than a spit like a valve would cause.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM
dynaratt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, just a lean spit just till warmed up a bit. Dont ask why LOL... but Ive swapped the stockers & V&H's back and forth a couple times and the same result happens. Temps here are pretty consistently 50 in the am. Kinda liking the quiet in my old age....now I can hear the stereo and my wife screamin at me to slow down .

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

KISS. Your bike ran fine you changed pipes bikes dose not run fine. It is the pipes.
One check for leaks. Two you went from a freer flowing exhaust to a restricted one you going to need to change the jets again no way a round it.