Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Slip Ons and Fuel Injection ? Some Clarity Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Slip Ons and Fuel Injection ? Some Clarity Please.

I have a 07 96cu in Dyna and have just fitted slip on mufflers, (the only modification) does this bike need a remap, HD Download or tune or other or will it be ok?

Millions of conflicting threads some say yes and some say no can anyone with real knowledge clarify please?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

NO you don't... If you add a free flowing air cleaner it would be recommended to get a download or a richer map to make it less lean. When i bought my 07 i added Screaming Eagle slip ons. ran fine, but after a while i got a code that said the fron cylinder was lean so they fixed that....I then added a stage I air cleaner and they did the download, made a different (little more throttle response) then i bought a Power Commander III and it made it a bit more peppier...After that i added cams and a different map....
So no, if you are going to do a slip on only you do not need a download, the ECM will compensate for the slight changes in flow.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

No, the ECM will compensate for the addition. I have read in several places, that if you just change exhaust and ride it for a while and then change intake, the ECM has enough movement to adjust for the changes one at a time. Harley can flash your ECM with a stage 1 flash as well. If you want peak performance, you will have to add a tuner, but just changing the exhaust, no mapping necessary.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

if you change 1 or the other (exhaust or air flow) individually and NOT the other then no retune is necessary. When you change the combination of both whether 1 right now and 1 later on down the road or both now then yes you need to retune for optimal efficiency. The ECM will compensate to some extent for either but it has no possible way of compensating for both properly as the amount of air flow both in and out is outside the scope of it's "self-tuning" abilities.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Ok thanks for the info guys and none of it conflicting which is what i was hoping.

Cheers
Tanuki-san

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Went past the local HD dealer and stopped in and talked to the mechanic he said it should be ok and pulled my spark plugs then said they look normal and everything should be fine, so that put my mind at rest, only thing is I forgot to ask him how to slow the idle speed down as it idles fast, can anyone tell me how to adjust that, or is it another trip to the dealer?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

You should invest ib a service manual...one of the best part in your tool box.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

+1 on the service manual. It's indispensable and will save you a lot of time and effort following some of the troubleshooting steps it provides for various scenarios.

have you checked the tumbscrew on the bottom of the switch housings on your right handlebar?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Yeah on the service manual but being im in japan the dealer would have a japanese version, (would prefer english version) I have been looking at some on the net but not sure which to go for.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

on the idle issue also..

keep your hand off the throttle.
turn the ignition on (do not start)
let the fuel pump pressure up and stop
wait 5 seconds then turn ignition off
repeat above procedure 4 more times waiting 10 seconds between ignition off and ignition on

what happens on these bikes with TPS (throttle position sensor) is the ECM will remember TP and if your hand is on the throttle when you kill the bike, the TPS is not resting at zero. Doing the above resets the TPS to zero

Quick Reply: Slip Ons and Fuel Injection ? Some Clarity Please.