Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Is there a quiet(er) shorty exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
ApplicationError
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a quiet(er) shorty exhaust?

Right now I have Samson Legend Series "Shorties" on my bike, which I like the look of but they are pretty loud. I am sure they are in the "ticket for noise pollution" range of loudness. Does anybody know if there is such a thing as decently quiet shorty exhaust?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
ApplicationError
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody? Please?

Really could use some help.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

An exhaust can only be quiet by restricting airflow. Which may be fine up to certain throttle position levels, but at some point there just won't be enough flow for your engine to allow full power causing it to bog down rather than agressively accelerate. it's a trade off, I've tried many things to make my bike perform and be quiet but it just doesn't work, you ask me it's a pysical law . guys who run dyno equippement can never get as much power from a quiet system. That is why so many people run their harley loud.

Take a look even at sport bikes, they are amazingly fast and super agile right out of the crate, but most of the guys open their exhaust and air and chip their modules for those few extra ponies.

Hope this helps, it all comes from my experience working on the bike and haveing many conversations with tuning experts, they all agree.

I've had a bub7 with loud and quiet baffle and now a supertrapp supermeg with tunable discs and the results are the same.
Best example I can give you is with my supertrapp. open end cap with 8 discs full power in all throttle positions, she runs like the devil!
Equivalent flow rate with closed (quiet) end cap is 18 discs, which ran fine up to 50% throttle and then started to bog down totally carbonizing my plugs -very unhealthy right-? So I added discs in increments of two leading up to 26 discs and by then I could open the throttle freely up to 70% to 75% without bog, and let me tell you I then anticipate full power at maybe 32 discs which will be just as loud as or louder than the open end.

Just be careful of cops and in quiet neihborhoods, or entering small towns or scaring people with small children or pets!. It is easily do-able to start from a dead stop quietly even with loud pipes.

Last edited by maddghost; 08-12-2012 at 08:31 AM.