Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Why does my bike idle high so often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:54 AM
Harryinny
|
Tourer
Default Why does my bike idle high so often?

This happens alot, when rideing, most times its when comeing out of 3rd gear down to first at a stop the idle stays the same(high) its enough to let me do 20mph in 1st gear without useing the throttle. It takes quite awhile to come down, usually 3 blocks actually, it comes down to regular idle after stopping at the stopsign. Is this because of a certain problem the bike might be having? The dealer said its normal because of some system in the bike that does this and it takes time for it to adjust back to normal idle. My concern is it sounds real high at stops and it sounds like a riceburned idle and thats not cool when people look at you like WTH is your bike doing?

Any thoughts?2009 XL1200L Stage1 and SE slipons programed with stage1.

Old 05-25-2012 | 06:42 AM
Bodean46
Road Master

Take WD-40 or something similar and spray around both sides of intake manifold where it goes into head to see if you have a leak. May need intake gaskets replaced.

Old 05-25-2012 | 07:10 AM
Harryinny
|
Tourer

Did that before i took it into them. No , the idle didnt go higher when sprayed. They say its normal because these bikes have some sort of system that takes a bit to readjust back to normal Idl rpm's. I know it sounds fishy to me but ive been there 2 times. It really bugs the hell out of me, specially when every HD ive owned, never did this. didnt buy the HD to sound like a burner when it feels like it.

Old 05-25-2012 | 08:16 AM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

My 2009 XL1200C does this rather frequently. It is definitely annoying.

Old 05-25-2012 | 09:43 AM
Harryinny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by mutantsfornukes
My 2009 XL1200C does this rather frequently. It is definitely annoying.

Isnt it though, Ugh its rather imbarassing at lights when people look at you like WTH man adjust you idle you sound like a rice burner. Ugh pita Injection systems. Wish i could carb this bike lol.

Old 05-25-2012 | 04:23 PM
JKC
Stage III

I seem to have a similar problem with a high idle coming to a stop. I have a 2012 Dyna Switchback. It seems to happened intermittently after I've gone for a long ride or if the weather is really hot. Coming to a stop, the engine is idling high and then starts to smooth out after I stop. Or if I try to start the bike (again after a long ride or hot weather), the bike has a slight delay in starting and when it does, it's revving out at high rpms for no reason. I have bike in the shop for its 5,000 mi maintenance, and the shop has indicated to me that they can't find or seem to duplicate the problem. Not good. If anyone has encountered this problem and has a solution, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:46 PM
Harryinny
|
Tourer

I feel your pain, It seems to be normal according to the shop near me, ive had mine in 2 times in the last month for the way its running so crappy with 4500 miles on it. They said it has to do with the EFI system, they keep saying its normal. My solution is im going to get those x14Ied's for my bike, look them up, youll see that they let the bike run rich rather than that poor excuse of a factory lean setting they set the bikes at. The reason they ship them lean is to boast the MPG of the bikes, but what they dont tell you is that it hurts your motor by making it run real hot, wearing out the rings and oil quicker.

Look into the x14iED's youll probably see a real noticable difference and its way cheaper than a new unit or unit and dyno for atleast 400 dollars less or more.Personally i cant wait to get the money to spend, to get a set.

Old 07-17-2012 | 11:10 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

clean out the throttle body and IAC with throttle body cleaner, when it gets caked up this happens...clean the sensors attached to the case too...