Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New starter for 94 FLSTN?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM
allenodell
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New starter for 94 FLSTN?

I am a so-so mechanic. A few years ago I installed 0.20 over Screaming Eagle high compression pistons in my 94 FLSTN. A big improvement, but I think they might be the cause of a recent problem. My battery is fresh and doesn't show any signs of problems.

Sometimes it feels like the bike is really struggling to turn over, then the next time I hit START it will turn over readily and start right away. Every once in awhile, when it is working hard to turn over, there will be a really loud, alarming bang. It sounds like it's coming from the cases. Is the engine reversing direction when I hear this? Is the starter just old and needs replacing? Is there any way to check the starter without taking it off the bike? If I have to take it off I might as well install a new starter.

Thanks to everyone, especially the guys who helped with my pushrod question.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:06 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

What is happening when the motor cranks slowly is that the rear cylinder landed on the compression stroke when you shut it off. What you can do to help is to install compression releases in yer cylinder heads because with high compression piston this problem will most likly return even with a higher out put starter

Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
allenodell
2nd Gear
Default More questions

OK, thanks. I did look at compression releases, but that's going to cost as much as a new starter because I can't the tap and thread the cylinders myself. Also, this is a recent development after 2 -3 years of having the Screaming Eagle hi-comp pistons in. You really don't think a new starter with a slightly higher output would work? I'd hate to tear down to the cases again, pay for a shop to do the compression release machining, and then have the starter quit a month or two later. I appreciate your time and advice, I know it's difficult to troubleshoot from a distance, but I also don't want to spend any more money or time than necessary, being lazy and broke. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I don't believe you need comp releases. You need to find out what that alarming noise is first! Concentrate on that. I recommend a trip to your local dealer or indy for an ears and hands on diagnosis.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Scootrskum
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue here and no releases. Noit sure about the noise but I get that occassionaly too. Just put the bike in gear and rock it back and/or forth to get it off the compression stroke before you start it. Works great!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Is the noise a grinding kick back kinda noise. A high out put starter certainly could "HELP" and is a common way of getting by. But if you used compression release you could run a stock starter and prolong the life of the stater for a long time. I do understand the cost is an issue but if you plan to keep the bike for a long time it would save ya money in the long run. Its just one of those things ya gotta weigh. And that noise you hear is most likly a compression kick back it happens more and more as the starter sprag gear in the starter clutch wears more

Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Rocking the bike to get it off the compression strock is not the correct way to do it and it you rock back and forth your going to open and close the valve doing nothing for you. And it will pump oil out of your lifters fix the problem. Thats like when people turn the radio up in their car to cover the sound of the engine failing ha ha ha

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Scootrskum
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, it's not the right way but it works!

Last edited by Scootrskum; 03-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.