Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

What Causes Crankshaft Runnout to Increase

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 PM
dirty.bohagen
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't trust Harley.

Originally Posted by EasternSP
My 103" motor blew a head gasket and in the tear down process, found that the crankshaft runnout was .019". This resulted in damage to the cams, cam plate and oil pump along with visible scuffing on the piston skirts and cylinder walls. The motor had about 30K on it and about 30 months. In the build process I didn't scimp on parts to cut costs and had them install what they recommended would go with the build from top to bottom. Now, the Service Manager at the H-D shop that did the build said it was probably due to my lack of proper maintenance so it is no fault of theirs.
I'm not inclined to think that the crankshaft runout occurs over time but rather is a manufacturing problem.
Can someone give me some insight on this?
I'm extremely new to bikes. I just got a '23 Low Rider S cpl years ago. At my 1,000 mile service/ oil change the Harley in Ft. Walton, FL filled my oil to the hot fill line while cold. Bike wasn't back there but like 30 minutes. I know they didn't do everything they were supposed to. Just got a stage 2 done (still waiting on dyno because of rain) at the Harley in Panama City. I asked what my runout was. Service guy said the tech wanted to know what I meant by "runout". Sounds to me like they barely know what they're doing. He should know what runout I'm talking about. Watch any video about cam swap and it's in there. Last time I ever go to a Harley dealership for anything. So hard to find good help I guess. I know if that was my job, I'd at least watch some videos and learn stuff. Instead of just throwin stuff on bikes and if it cranks say "good enough" and send it out the door. Seems like that's what they do to me.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

@dirty.bohagen The post your replied to is about 14 years old. I see that you are new to the forum; it is always a good idea to check the date of the last post in a thread; it could be 14 years old

Old 03-01-2024, 09:55 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,863 Posts

But still interesting topic. Why reinvent wheel?

One shop told me unless locked up brakes probably that way from build. Not sure.

What does it need to be with chains, is next question?

Old 03-01-2024, 10:33 PM
Chris_G
Club Member
Received 183 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Details on the parts are: Crank was a JIMS. The build was a 103 stage V by Patriot Harley of Fairfax, VA. The big bore package is still advertised on their web page.
The Service Manager told me that dyno tuning it up to 108h/121t was one of the things that probably caused it too.
My riding style was more at highway speeds touring. Not a bar hopper, no wheelies or burnouts. Oil changes were always at about the 3K mile point with filter change as well.
I don't know if improving the output by the dyno tune really is a factor in this. Patriot did an initial dyno tune then after the 1000 mile break in, they did another tune and it produced 96h/101t.
Patriot is more than likely the problem, sorry.