Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Fuzz. Mixed up rocker arm support plates. Does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuzz. Mixed up rocker arm support plates. Does it matter?

Hey,

I'm installing a 103 kit on my '07 Fat Boy. Following the great threads and savvy advise of HDF members, I have been carefully removing the parts and fastners, bagging and labeling everything. Then, before I realized my error, I had both rocker arm support plates sitting next to each other on my table, unmarked and unbagged. They look exactly the same. Shi!. I tried to remember which I put on the table first and its location, but just tricked myself into remembering which was which. Really, I hadn't started the booze juice until after this oversight. Does it matter if they don't go back to their original cylinder? Even if it doesn't matter, is there a way to figure out which goes where? There are different numbers stamped onto each one, but I can find any information online which tells me what the numbers mean.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm assuming the rocker arms are still intact. Correct?

It would be nice to reinstall to the same head as they were removed from since the rocker arms are worn-in to their respective pushrods and valves, but it's probably not the end of the world if otherwise.

Then again, you may be replacing the pushrods as part of your build so you can disregard that half of the equation if that's the case.

The only thing left then is the rocker arm to valve stem wear pattern. Although good practice would dictate keeping those the same, it's not a catastrophic F-up if they get mixed up.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I'm assuming the rocker arms are still intact. Correct?

It would be nice to reinstall to the same head as they were removed from since the rocker arms are worn-in to their respective pushrods and valves, but it's probably not the end of the world if otherwise.

Then again, you may be replacing the pushrods as part of your build so you can disregard that half of the equation if that's the case.

The only thing left then is the rocker arm to valve stem wear pattern. Although good practice would dictate keeping those the same, it's not a catastrophic F-up if they get mixed up.
Yes, the whole rocker arm support plate is still intact (rocker arms still attached). I'm keeping the stock pushrods (non-adjustable). My concern is what you mention...maybe interchangeable but each one has worn into its parts. I'll forge ahead...lesson learned!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

You know what you could do? Inspect the valve stem tips and rocker arms very closely. (Got a magnifier?) You may be able to determine the original location by observing some unique wear mark on the mating surfaces.