Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Push rod worries

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 PM
timber0472
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Push rod worries

Ok, First things first...Im an idiot. Now that, that's out of the way, no need to comment on that again.

Background: I have wrenched for a while and am a machinist by trade, so I understand a little about how these beasts work. I recently bought an 03 flstci (my first twin cam). It has a few miles on it and someone warned me that I should check the cam chain tensioners. I did and they were pretty banged up, but not shot. While in there I replaced the cam with a mild 26A. (It suited my needs.) I also cut and replaced the push rods with some adjustable S&S ones. Heres where the problem started...

Me (the idiot) did everything by the book, except I guess I didnt get one of the pushrod jam nuts all the way tight and about 10 miles into my ride I noticed a ticking. I shut it down about 100 yds later, and pulled the pushrod covers. Sure enough the front cylinder exhaust rod was about a 1/2" shorter. I adjusted it back out and started the bike right up to make it home.
The next day I re-adjusted all of them and put a little locktite on them.

My question is this...What's the chances that I F*&## my engine? It started up right away, and it seems quiet as before, but Im freaking paranoid as hell. I find myself freaking out over every little noise that seems different now. I think its ok, but I need some peace of mind from a few pros....please help. Thanks to all in advance!!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the 26 cams as well and like 'em. I upgraded the ci to 95 on mine and had the heads decked and cc'd. Runs good. I'm not pro, but IMHO, you didn't damage anything because the rod was shorter and the only thing that happened was the valve wasn't opening. If the rod had lenghtened somehow, then you would have had problems. Sleep well.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I am no pro...... But I had a push rod come un adjusted my fault so your not the only idiot. I re did it and have no problems for about 1000 miles. I did much searching on various forums and was worried like you are from what I could dig up researching was not to worry about it. I would make sure you have them tight and check all of them put a drop of locktite and let it dry over night.

I blame my instructions there was a caution to not over tighten them on the set I have. I tell you I made sure they were all tight second time around.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had screwed something up you would have noticed it right away. Might be a good idea to check that push rod for being true and not bent a bit. (roll it on a flat glass plate) It's possible, but not likely, that the push rod got bent a bit when it was slopping around and bouncing back and forth between the rocker and the lifter.