Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

help! I need new spark plug wires before friday! can I use cager wires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 AM
ShadowSoldier777
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help! I need new spark plug wires before friday! can I use cager wires?

So I relocated my coil a few months back to the top motor, made a crappy macgyver mount, and just yesterday actually took the time to wrench a proper top motor mount in my garage, but.... I'm still rockin the stock wires (one short wire/one long wire). I need to get new even length wires and I want to get them before friday cause I'm going on a road trip, but my stealer only has stock wires on hand. Can I just go to the AutoShop and buy/use Car Spark plug wires????

PS: I heard on here that front and rear wires dont matter and they can be plugged in vise versa so I bought just a single short wire from the stealer, but apparently there IS a front wire and rear wire, cause the short stocks are fronts and when I tried it, the bike just misfired and never turned.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

[quote=ShadowSoldier777;8396942]
"PS: I heard on here that front and rear wires dont matter and they can be plugged in vise versa so I bought just a single short wire from the stealer, but apparently there IS a front wire and rear wire, cause the short stocks are fronts and when I tried it, the bike just misfired and never turned."[/quote]

Soldier: on my old FXR I did exactly what you are thinking of doing - used auto plug wires as substitutes, and they worked fine. What you need to check is the proper plug wire connection AT THE COIL - in the coil's stock mounting location the rear cyl plug wire attaches to the top terminal of the coil, the front cyl plug wire to the bottom terminal. If the wires are criss-crossed might explain the reason why your motor won't fire up. Hope that helps.
~