Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

1987 Electra glide Sport, Cutting out while riding.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM
okiemedic
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Electra glide Sport, Cutting out while riding.

Hello,
Im having issues with my Old scooter. Since I had the engine rebuilt two years ago, ive been fighting with the engine cutting out at highway speeds. Ive replaced the Petcock screen, petcock, fuel line, fuel filter,had the tank cleaned, spark plugs replaced,the nose cone sensor for the timing, ive replaced the stator, and voltage regulator when they went bad, but it was acting up before they went out, Ive noticed some backfiring through the carb sometimes, and sometimes it doesnt back fire, at times at highway speeds it will act like its starving for fuel, spits sputters, you crank the throttle it dies out faster, but if you pull in the clutch the engine revs, but when you kill the engine and coast for a few seconds then restart it runs good for a while, then it may or may not spit and sputter again. Other than the computer im out of ideas, the bike isnt over heating, ive changed the thermostat twice, my bike temp runs about 230 degrees on average. Im lost as to what the problems can be, Im considering putting a rebuild kit(seals and float) in to see if it remedies this. I would love some input. thanks

Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

there are circuit breakers that go south. my 85 has 3 under the speedo and 1 under the seat. the one under the seat is the main breaker and is 30 amp the other 3 are 15 amp. about $10 each. auto parts stores have them. you may have to order them. what you describe is a symptom of the breakers going bad. i replaced mine when it started acting like that and that fixed it. the breakers are rectangular in shape, about 1/2" X1".