Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Turning a Stock 88ci into a 103ci or 110ci?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhetor
Very interesting . . . Either of those looks the best way to go if I blew a motor out completely on a scoot . . . but to build up an HD motor on a pre-owned I buy, perhaps I should start by buying a pre-owned 2007 at the best price I can find . . . then work that engine up to where I want to be . . . looks like I could do more building up with the 96ci motor than with the 88ci motor in a 2005 HD . . . am I right?
Very good point, if you going to keep it under 120 T&H and don't beat on the bike too hard and shift the crank. The stage 2-1/2's that I like to do are about right for a stock cylinder 103 or 107" stroker.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhetor
Very interesting . . . Either of those looks the best way to go if I blew a motor out completely on a scoot . . . but to build up an HD motor on a pre-owned I buy, perhaps I should start by buying a pre-owned 2007 at the best price I can find . . . then work that engine up to where I want to be . . . looks like I could do more building up with the 96ci motor than with the 88ci motor in a 2005 HD . . . am I right?
The 96" crank can be sent to Hoban's, and with the advent of an Axtell 4 1/8" bore cylinder kit, it is a 117".
Baggerdsm's run 130/135 SAE.
Scott

Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Scott just hit 13k on the build tonight! Every time i fire up this bad boy i love it more!

Rhetor, this is my dyno sheet. Its easily repeatable, maybe even beating it with Fuel injection and a great tune......

Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 PM
comaman2
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingofcubes
Very good point, if you going to keep it under 120 T&H and don't beat on the bike too hard and shift the crank. The stage 2-1/2's that I like to do are about right for a stock cylinder 103 or 107" stroker.
totaly agree, i have been looking at going with a s&s107 hot set up with a belt drive primary on my egs, would make my trailer easy to pull whan ma ma gos with me!!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Trailer with it all loaded up would be a perfect 117 build with a short cam (like a woods TW6)that pile drives the low end torq up. It would pull great. Might run out of steam in the way upper rpm ranges, but like Scott said before you could slap a John Deere sticker on there and rent it as a stump puller. I know Hillside has done a bunch of those and they would be cheaper as well as all the expensive valvetrain equipment wont be needed!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 AM
comaman2
Banned

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
Trailer with it all loaded up would be a perfect 117 build with a short cam (like a woods TW6)that pile drives the low end torq up. It would pull great. Might run out of steam in the way upper rpm ranges, but like Scott said before you could slap a John Deere sticker on there and rent it as a stump puller. I know Hillside has done a bunch of those and they would be cheaper as well as all the expensive valvetrain equipment wont be needed!
in your opinion how much coin for the build you just decribed?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
comaman2
Banned

Scott just hit 13k on the build tonight! Every time i fire up this bad boy i love it more!

Rhetor, this is my dyno sheet. Its easily repeatable, maybe even beating it with Fuel injection and a great tune......

holy chit thats a wild animal your taming there.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comaman2
totaly agree, i have been looking at going with a s&s107 hot set up with a belt drive primary on my egs, would make my trailer easy to pull whan ma ma gos with me!!!!
I like the tighter port heads for something like this, we redo a lot of S&S heads and the first thing we find when we weld and cnc port them is they get more torque much quicker when we tighten up the ports. The next thing is they cool down. An example is my 113" S&S that went from 100 T&H to 125 T&H and cooled down the oil 20-25 degrees. The 5th gear dyno pull went from 8 seconds to mid 5's. You can do this same thing with the stock heads (weld and cnc port). This will pull the trailer better than a lot of cubes with big ports and valves.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man! That looks like the last hill I climbed on a dirt bike! Awesome! Did you start with a stock 96 or 88?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he started with a 98 in kit that went bad....
me personally i prefer Baisley or Hillsidee heads ..
just my opinion....

Quick Reply: Turning a Stock 88ci into a 103ci or 110ci?