Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Ultima El Bruto 113

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:01 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

I have a fully polished 127 my buddy has a 2006 Duece with 95" His always runs at least 20 degrees hotter than my 127 and thats without me using the oil cooler. Stuck in traffic this summer with 100+ temp his got to 260 mine went to 220 before I turned on the oil cooler. We also average the same fuel mileage. I have the full windshield and bags his doesn't. I don't find any drawbacks to having the big motor except for tires and tranny parts.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:56 PM
Rock Man
Novice

Originally Posted by Classic Beast
I have a fully polished 127 my buddy has a 2006 Duece with 95" His always runs at least 20 degrees hotter than my 127 and thats without me using the oil cooler. Stuck in traffic this summer with 100+ temp his got to 260 mine went to 220 before I turned on the oil cooler. We also average the same fuel mileage. I have the full windshield and bags his doesn't. I don't find any drawbacks to having the big motor except for tires and tranny parts.
Glad your having a good time with your bike. It's all in the set-up, the rider & outside temp. I think at times that it's mostly the set-up that makes the big difference, but there are those who disagree with that. I may be wrong? But you can't get by the laws of physics ... the more fuel you burn, the more heat that is generated. So, the larger the carb &/or the richer the fuel flow, the more heat you generate. That usually means burned up pistons.
Like I've said to other guys, I've overheated old Honda Trail 70's & 90's years ago & had them seize up. So just being a large engine doesn't mean it's going to run hot or hotter than any other engine. There are a lot of factors involved. Sounds like you've got you & your bike tuned in pretty good. Yall compliment each other.
Holler back when ya can.
Rock Man

Old 01-22-2010 | 08:28 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Too Lean = Heat/melt
Rich = Cool
I use a RB racing Fuel ratio meter to set up the carb, it sure saves a lot of time.

Old 03-01-2010 | 10:43 PM
ridesapaint
6th Gear
Default about the 113 el bruto

I am a couple weeks out from ordering either the El Bruto 113, or the Demons Cycle 114 (an upgraded 113 they claim).

http://www.demonscycle.com/Engines/D...-p7885957.html

I am pretty much reading everywhere that the Ultima is a decent engine. I discovered the Demon's 114 while looking for a drivetrain package, and am leaning toward the 114 for a ground up new build using the kraft/tech softail frame. The engine, 6-speed, and a belt drive can be had for $5600 delivered to my door--very nice. This is my first bike build, but have ridden my whole life, or for the past 30 years at least, and have enough skills to do a great job. I very much like what I am putting together so far. My only complaint about the 114ci is the Demon's air cleaner cover is really not a look I want on the bike. It's an easy fix.
Anyhow, does anyone have an opinion on the Demon's 114?

Old 03-02-2010 | 11:49 AM
Rock Man
Novice

I wish I knew something about the Demon 114 engine but I don't. All I can tell ya is the El Bruto engines are a good choice of engines. Like any engine, you'll hear about a bad engine or experience, but all in all, they hold up very well as long as you treat them right. That's good maintance & some common sense.
The Demon engine may be a good engine also, I just haven't ever heard of them ... which means nothing. I Hadn't heard much about the Ultima engines until like you, I decided to build my 1st bike from scratch ... the exact way I wanted it. I checked around with some of the HD Dealers (Steel Thunder Cycle) who also sold Ultima Bikes & Kits and I talked to them. They sold me on the Ultima Brand. I lucked out & got a dealer who helped me pick the right engine for my style of riding. I originally wanted the 131cid but with the way I ride & where I ride, it'd probally run hot running the back roads & around town. I do recommend a 6sp to help prevent any lugging of the engine no matter which one you get.
Well, wish I could have been more help. Let me know which one you decide on. The owner of Steel Thunder cycle will help you & answer any questions you may have & I sure he'll match or beat anybody's elses price & ship it to ya. As I said, he's an HD Dealer & a pretty smart & Square guy. Look up Steel Thunder Cycle on the web & get his contact info ... he's located in Missouri. He's done me right & helped me everytime I called him. This being my first build, there was a lot of stuff I'd never had to do. Like figuring out the right bushings under the motor & tranny, cutting the fenders to the right length & drilling the fender strut holes right, preping the inside of the gas tanks & how to clean out a new oil tank. They always arrive full of rust. there is a hundred little things I never thought of that caused me problems trying to figure them out. My biggest & first problem was getting the 250 tire mounted on the rear rim. No one, not even the local HD Dealer could get it mounted due to the tire being so thick & stiff. Finally Hawg City Choppers in Fayetteville Ark. mounted it with no problems. But thats where "doing it everyday" type of experience pays off.
Again, keep me informed on which you choose.
Live Hard, Ride Hard
Rockman

quote=ridesapaint;6331918]I am a couple weeks out from ordering either the El Bruto 113, or the Demons Cycle 114 (an upgraded 113 they claim).

http://www.demonscycle.com/Engines/D...-p7885957.html

I am pretty much reading everywhere that the Ultima is a decent engine. I discovered the Demon's 114 while looking for a drivetrain package, and am leaning toward the 114 for a ground up new build using the kraft/tech softail frame. The engine, 6-speed, and a belt drive can be had for $5600 delivered to my door--very nice. This is my first bike build, but have ridden my whole life, or for the past 30 years at least, and have enough skills to do a great job. I very much like what I am putting together so far. My only complaint about the 114ci is the Demon's air cleaner cover is really not a look I want on the bike. It's an easy fix.
Anyhow, does anyone have an opinion on the Demon's 114?[/quote]

Old 03-02-2010 | 01:48 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master

I've never heard of the Demon's Engines either. I have had an Ultima 113 for 5 years now, and LOVE IT!!

Old 03-17-2010 | 10:02 PM
nzbernie
Advanced

Put a 113 into my old FXR wow loads of power ,changed the airfilter to an Arlen Ness Derby Big Sucker just because i didn't like the look of the Ultima aircleaner , had to change out the clutch for a Rivera Pro Clutch to harness all the extra ponies

1988 FXRS
113 Ultima
Pro Clutch
V&H Propipe

Old 05-20-2010 | 08:46 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

Glad I found this thread. My buddy's about to start my new build & we're going with either the 107" or the 113" El Bruto. Glad to hear it's a good engine!

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:40 AM
Rock Man
Novice

If your an experienced rider & have some common sense, go with the 113cid. It'll work OK around town, on the road & you'll back up your dragging with proof. It'll ****** an "OH SH-T" out of ya everytime you twist the throttle. Seriously, go with the 113cid. Its the best field tested of Ultima engines & even the Ole Guys can't get enough of it. Just be careful at first ... Always remembering that the twist of the throttle unleashes ~125hp. That's more HP than most of my dad's Fords/Chevy 6cyl pickups had!
Keep me informed on the build.
Rock Man
Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Glad I found this thread. My buddy's about to start my new build & we're going with either the 107" or the 113" El Bruto. Glad to hear it's a good engine!

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:49 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Ultima makes the 124 bagger motor now or the 120" I like the larger bore. Go with the 113 as you will get used to the 107 and want more fairly soon.

Quick Reply: Ultima El Bruto 113