Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2007 road glide starts and shuts off immediately

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 10:49 PM
The Dyson
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Did you try swapping the fuel line to the throttle body?
I didn't. Just the line to the rail. I'm thinking injectors because there was some crud in the original line. Small amount..... But yes. Eye brow was raised

Old Yesterday | 06:17 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The Dyson
I checked the check valve and even pulled the fuel line off my heritage because it's the same and it pops in place perfectly. If I run the pump and try to start and then disconnect, it has pressure.

Tomorrow at some point ill pull the injectors, clean them with some spray stuff and see if they are clogged. I'm at a loss with this so might as well. I'll check back in after injectors. Really weird because I can smell gas in the exhaust.
And it starts with ether!!! Shuts off immediately but it'll start!
So its like it has to be an electrical issue, but I don't know!!!!!
Losing my mind! Haha
​​​​​
I just ordered new ignition coil and new wires to eliminate that even thou it has spark- seems to be weak spark so just ordered because. Will be in Thursday.
once the piump is running it would have pressure when you disconnect,from the tank, but you should check to see if there is pressure from the rail side, If you do yes check the injectors, but it should still try and run with a dirty injector. Dont waste money on a coil and wire yet, pull one plug wire off, and attach to an outside plug grounded on the engine and see if it contiues to spark while you crank,
Also check your compression

Old Yesterday | 08:40 AM
The Dyson
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paulmedford
once the piump is running it would have pressure when you disconnect,from the tank, but you should check to see if there is pressure from the rail side, If you do yes check the injectors, but it should still try and run with a dirty injector. Dont waste money on a coil and wire yet, pull one plug wire off, and attach to an outside plug grounded on the engine and see if it contiues to spark while you crank,
Also check your compression
Yeah. Your right, there's just so many contradicting things.... It has spark, seems weak, but it's consistent. I'm bout to crank the motor and then check the plugs to see if they are wet. I'll retest spark since battery has been charging all night and I'll be able to crank it.

​​​​​I have a compression gauge, but it was running... I don't have a fuel pressure fitting at this moment.

Old Yesterday | 09:00 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah. Your right, there's just so many contradicting things.... It has spark, seems weak, but it's consistent. I'm bout to crank the motor and then check the plugs to see if they are wet. I'll retest spark since battery has been charging all night and I'll be able to crank it.

​​​​​I have a compression gauge, but it was running... I don't have a fuel pressure fitting at this moment.
One thing to remember is that in order to have good spark you need to compression on the rear cylinder and the plug installed.

Since the motor does start and run, it seems like flow is restricted and not plugged, I'd try the line first..

Old Yesterday | 09:19 AM
Schex
Supporter

Check your other thread on this, unplug the VSS (vehicle speed sensor at the transmission and see if it starts., if not, run the voltage test I stated, depending on that test outcome, there's another test of a few sensors with common ground.

Old Yesterday | 10:15 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Come to think of it, when I rebuilt the internals of my '07, I had it all buttoned up and the tank installed on the bike before I tried to plug in the fuel line to the check valve... and it didn't fit.
The replacement check valve did not fit the OEM hose/fitting that goes to the injectors.

If I were in your shoes, I would swap out that new check valve, especially since it ran prior.

The following users liked this post:
paulmedford (Yesterday)