Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Clacking after rocker lockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2024, 09:10 PM
gt06
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Clacking after rocker lockers

Looking for some advise folks ( please no criticism ) I just installed the lockers to help quiet some noise from the top end. I figured I’d give the lockers a try. Just got it back together and upon start up I’m hearing a clacking noise from what seems like coming from the front cylinder. Short of taking things apart again any ideas on what it might be or what I did wrong? I followed the SM for dis- assembly and re- assembly following torque values. Did I possibly bend a rod perhaps? Just guessing at this point. I shut it down as soon as I heard the noise. Hoping I didn’t do any damage.

Old 09-29-2024, 09:57 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,257 Likes on 7,694 Posts

1. Providing the year and model of your motorcycle would be a good thing.
2. If there was no "clacking" before you took it apart, then you did something when you took it apart and put it back together.
3. Revisit the work you did and you will probably need to take it apart (at least the front cylinder) and see what is going on, what is loose, or what is not back together correctly.
4. You may just have a lifter that was not pumped up and it may take a minute for it to pump up correctly and for the noise to go away.
5. Hard to diagnose over the internet and not hearing the sound.

The following 2 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
djl (09-30-2024), DK Custom (Yesterday)
Old 09-29-2024, 11:20 PM
Firedude2
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

How long did you let it run? If you made sure pushrods were installed properly, then like stated above may take a few seconds running to quiet down. If in doubt jack up rear wheel, pull plugs, put it in highest gear, turn it over and watch each pushrod/lifter through its travel.

Last edited by Firedude2; 09-29-2024 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2024, 11:27 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
1. Providing the year and model of your motorcycle would be a good thing.
2. If there was no "clacking" before you took it apart, then you did something when you took it apart and put it back together.
3. Revisit the work you did and you will probably need to take it apart (at least the front cylinder) and see what is going on, what is loose, or what is not back together correctly.
4. You may just have a lifter that was not pumped up and it may take a minute for it to pump up correctly and for the noise to go away.
5. Hard to diagnose over the internet and not hearing the sound.

Sorry it’s a 2014 CVO Ultra Limited. The lifters, push rods and inner cam bearings were done by a reputable shop just about a month ago and everything was running fine except the noisy rockers ( at least that’s what I thought it was ) has been there since I bought the bike in May off this year. I didn’t let it run too long because I didn’t want to damage anything.

Old 09-29-2024, 11:28 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Firedude2
How long did you let it run? If you made sure pushrods were installed properly, then like stated above may take a few seconds running to quiet down. If in doubt jack up rear wheel, pull plugs, put it in highest gear, turn it over and watch each pushrod/lifter through its travel.
Thanks will try that. I only let it run for about 15-20 seconds.

Old 09-30-2024, 08:54 AM
Firedude2
Tourer

That should be enough time to quiet down.
Use a paper clip and rubber band to hold the pushrod tubes up while you check travel.
Any chance you could of mixed up intake and exhaust pushrods?

Last edited by Firedude2; 09-30-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:01 AM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Firedude2
That should be enough time to quiet down.
Use a paper clip and rubber band to hold the pushrod tubes up while you check travel.
Any chance you could of mixed up intake and exhaust pushrods?

Pushrods were already installed. I didn’t do anything with them.

Old 09-30-2024, 10:45 AM
Firedude2
Tourer

Ok. I would do check I talked about above then. With cam on base circle (lifter at lowest point) pushrod should have resistance when twisting until lifter bleeds some. Then you should be able to twist it fairly easy. Check all four this way.

Old 09-30-2024, 11:25 AM
gt06
Tourer

Please riddle me this. The procedure for turning the wheel while jacked up is to put it in 6th gear with the plugs pulled but damn it takes every ounce of strength with 2 hands ( one on the wheel and one grabbing the belt sprocket ) to turn that rear wheel. The bike is not on a table lift but on my floor jack so leverage is somewhat diminished while so low. I have to “ rock “the wheel back and forth at some points just to get it to move. It was the same when I first started this whole procedure. Not as easy as it looks in a bunch of videos I’ve seen on the Tube.

Old 09-30-2024, 11:50 AM
Firedude2
Tourer

It can be hard to turn. As long as you are able to turn it its normal.

Quick Reply: Clacking after rocker lockers