Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Clacking after rocker lockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2024, 12:29 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I agree with CoolBreeze. If the clacking wasn't there before the Rocker Locker install than something the OP did or didn't do is causing the clacking. Pull the rocker box, backtrack through the Rocker Locker install process and the source of the noise will likely be revealed.

Old 09-30-2024, 12:45 PM
gt06
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Firedude2
It can be hard to turn. As long as you are able to turn it its normal.
I figured as much but had to ask.

Old 09-30-2024, 12:46 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Firedude2
Ok. I would do check I talked about above then. With cam on base circle (lifter at lowest point) pushrod should have resistance when twisting until lifter bleeds some. Then you should be able to twist it fairly easy. Check all four this way.
Will do. Thanks so much.

Old 09-30-2024, 12:48 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
I agree with CoolBreeze. If the clacking wasn't there before the Rocker Locker install than something the OP did or didn't do is causing the clacking. Pull the rocker box, backtrack through the Rocker Locker install process and the source of the noise will likely be revealed.
Gonna start removing the rocker covers shortly. Been trying to do some research and got stuck on the damn tube videos.

Old 09-30-2024, 01:09 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 547 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by gt06
Pushrods were already installed. I didn’t do anything with them.
I assume you had to loosen all 4 bolts on each rocker plate to align the shafts and install the lockers. You took the preload off of the lifters if you did. You should have verified the cylinder was on TDC compression (valves closed) when you bolted the rockers back down. Then you should have waited for the lifters to bleed down before doing the other cylinder. Either a lifter hasn't pumped up yet, something is loose or something bent. There's also an o-ring under the rocker support plate that could be pinched.

Old 09-30-2024, 01:11 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain

Please riddle me this. The procedure for turning the wheel while jacked up is to put it in 6th gear with the plugs pulled but damn it takes every ounce of strength with 2 hands ( one on the wheel and one grabbing the belt sprocket ) to turn that rear wheel. The bike is not on a table lift but on my floor jack so leverage is somewhat diminished while so low. I have to “ rock “the wheel back and forth at some points just to get it to move. It was the same when I first started this whole procedure. Not as easy as it looks in a bunch of videos I’ve seen on the Tube.
Did you take the spark plugs out?

Old 09-30-2024, 01:16 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
Did you take the spark plugs out?
Waiting fo someone to ask this. lol. Yes I did.

Old 09-30-2024, 01:19 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain

Waiting fo someone to ask this. lol. Yes I did.
If the plugs are out there will still be some resistance as the valves open and close. It will turn smoothly if the plugs are out and rockers are removed.

Old 09-30-2024, 01:20 PM
gt06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
I assume you had to loosen all 4 bolts on each rocker plate to align the shafts and install the lockers. You took the preload off of the lifters if you did. You should have verified the cylinder was on TDC compression (valves closed) when you bolted the rockers back down. Then you should have waited for the lifters to bleed down before doing the other cylinder. Either a lifter hasn't pumped up yet, something is loose or something bent. There's also an o-ring under the rocker support plate that could be pinched.
I removed the rocker support plate altogether . Yes I did as you described. In fact I did the rear cylinder and had to stop and didn’t get to the front till the next day. I did install new O rings as well..

The following users liked this post:
Rusty Springs (09-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 01:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,009 Likes on 4,199 Posts

If you collapse a lifter and you don't have adjustable pushrods you messed with, your probably good.

When you alternate tighted those rocker cradel down, it collapses them.

It takes a good minute for them to pump up. And once you have heard that and I believe you have, you will know what a real lifter tap sounds like.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-30-2024 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Clacking after rocker lockers