Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Valve clatter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024 | 02:52 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Would have been helpful to know this from the start; the motor is running in a lean condition and they come from the factory on the lean side. If you want to run the bike with a hi-flow intake and exhaust, get the motor tuned. I still believe the motor is detonating and that will destroy a v-twin if not corrected. You can toss the warranty out the window if detonation damages the motor JMHO.
Pinging will destroy any engine, not just a V-Twin. I agree, the OP'S bike is running lean because of his modifications and should have a proper tune.

Old 07-10-2024 | 03:04 PM
Powermankw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Would have been helpful to know this from the start; the motor is running in a lean condition and they come from the factory on the lean side. If you want to run the bike with a hi-flow intake and exhaust, get the motor tuned. I still believe the motor is detonating and that will destroy a v-twin if not corrected. You can toss the warranty out the window if detonation damages the motor JMHO.
I live at 6000ft. I already have 20% less air. Changing the air filter didn't do anything over the stock one. The stock one was just in my way. And yes, I turned my mufflers into normal slip ons... With cats. Nothing the EMC can't account for, especially at 6000ft. And it's not new, it's always sort of done it under certain conditions.

So I am not going to be suprised if it contributes, but there is more to it than that. Even service guy wasn't making a big deal of it, just wanted history.... But we'll see. It's why I took it in... And if it needs a flash, I'm good with that.

Old 07-12-2024 | 02:56 AM
Nutty
Advanced
Default Valve noise

Originally Posted by Powermankw
It can be any gear... It's RPM and getting on it. It could be 3/4/5... When you ask... It's not 1st. 2nd not so much.

I have never had any codes. I do have a service manual, I'll check knock sensors. I never really thought of knocking cause I've never had to deal with it on anything. Other than noise, what other signs would I have if it was knocking?

I have always used 91/premium. It is under warranty. I haven't changed anything just trying to make sure I don't nerd it. If I took it in, I would definitely have to pay attention to how exactly it is repeatable, even if I have to ride around to heat it up to duplicate. But it is definitely repeatable.
what’s in the motor re: lifters/pushrods/rockers/cuffs?

pretty sure this’ll be excess rocker end float. Have you checked it? MoCo spec is 4-6 though…but…anything over 4.5 thou they tap on the ends.

Old 07-12-2024 | 11:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Very doubtful that "rocker float" is the source of the noise. No experience with M8s but many have shimed TC rockers from .015" to bring into HD spec with no improvement. I did it myself with no improvement. Replaced lifters with Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFO Larry and that did make a difference.

Old 07-12-2024 | 05:39 PM
Powermankw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nutty
what’s in the motor re: lifters/pushrods/rockers/cuffs?

pretty sure this’ll be excess rocker end float. Have you checked it? MoCo spec is 4-6 though…but…anything over 4.5 thou they tap on the ends.
I can swap parts, but that's a bit beyond me. As in.... I don't know what you are talking about. 😂

Right now it's going to be hot as **** this week. I don't know if I will ride. At least for now, I have an appointment. If it does it I can tell them how to duplicate it. But the possibility of knocking I'm certainly going to not allow it. I can stay higher in the rpms... That just isn't how it should be.

Old 07-12-2024 | 06:21 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior

Several yrs ago I was up in the Estes park and Loveland areas, my 14 sgs was pinging like crazy, I went to the Harley dealer in loveland, co. and talked to them about it, they said they get a lot of concerns from people from the lower elevation states. He told me to use octane booster if I wanted to but otherwise he wouldn't worry to much about it. He also stated that they have worked on many engines and never seen any damage caused by the elevation. I too went into denver and the pinging quit, I am from Nebraska.

Old 07-12-2024 | 09:15 PM
Nutty
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Very doubtful that "rocker float" is the source of the noise. No experience with M8s but many have shimed TC rockers from .015" to bring into HD spec with no improvement. I did it myself with no improvement. Replaced lifters with Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFO Larry and that did make a difference.
OK, I’ve never shimmed out rocker end-float on a TC, Rocker Lockers always cured them. Every M8 water-cooled 117-121 I’ve worked in here in Oz has rocker end-float noise. Rocker tap sounds very different to pre-ignition/pinging. Good luck with it.

Old 07-13-2024 | 01:46 AM
Powermankw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by WONKEY
Several yrs ago I was up in the Estes park and Loveland areas, my 14 sgs was pinging like crazy, I went to the Harley dealer in loveland, co. and talked to them about it, they said they get a lot of concerns from people from the lower elevation states. He told me to use octane booster if I wanted to but otherwise he wouldn't worry to much about it. He also stated that they have worked on many engines and never seen any damage caused by the elevation. I too went into denver and the pinging quit, I am from Nebraska.
Interesting. I would go to McConaughy with jet skis which is 3000. I'm at 6000. Timberline is 11k. Just interesting for range.

Old 07-18-2024 | 09:47 AM
Powermankw
|
Tourer

Couple questions... Knocking. If it is, how is the EMC not compensating? That is what it is supposed to do right. It can even do individual cylinders. A sensor can be bad, but both? It doesn't seem only one. I can believe there are limitations, I just can't believe I'm there. What don't I get?

Too lean on OEM map with air filter and slipons... The ECM has a map. It can compensate to a point to stay on the map... But that would mean fuel is maxed with the air I have... Again, I can't see it with an air filter. I can't imagine needing a new map for that, but I don't know... Do I?

Last... High pitch squeal. Yes I'm taking it in and see what they say, but what is it? To me, no rotating equipment should squeal. The obvious guess is belt squeal, but it's not the belt. Pull the clutch, Rev engine... It's RPM. It's the engine. People talk a lot about valve train noise on M8s... But high pitched squeal? Can it be valve train?

Old 07-21-2024 | 10:52 AM
Powermankw
|
Tourer

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Valve clatter