Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Valve clatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 07:06 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Well now I am trippin on knock. I had somewhere to go tonight... Hop on the bike, its only a cool 78.... Bike pulls hard 2500 and up. I've sort of known it's when warm, and I've known my bike runs good when starting out... But nothing I cod do to make it happen on my short 15 min ride. Pulls strong.

So if it's knocking... Why? Sure it's hot blah blah but it shouldn't knock anyway and certainly not on premium.

If it's knocking, and my sensors are working right, will knock throw a code?

Old 06-29-2024, 07:36 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Won't throw a code but what's your elevation?

Old 06-29-2024, 09:05 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Won't throw a code but what's your elevation?
6000ft.

Old 06-29-2024, 09:28 PM
Rocketman83
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Following - I Swear I’ve heard pinging on my bike since new - it’s a 114 which does have slightly higher CR than the 107 / 117 (10.5 vs 10.2). But It could be rocker noise when loading up the bike / accelerating - Not sure if thats even a thing. I didn't think about trying octane booster as I always thought that was a bad thing to use - There is a local Sunoco that has 110 - Maybe I’ll try that.

Old 06-29-2024, 11:06 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
6000ft.
That's probably why you have pinging. You aren't reaching above the 80 kpa areas of the map where there's more fuel and less timing.

Old 06-29-2024, 11:34 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,610 Likes on 7,758 Posts

Don't these bikes have knock sensors that pull back the timing when pinging is detected? I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree. Since these M8 engines use forked rocker arms with no provision for individual adjustments for each valve, you may be hearing a little valve lash from uneven clearance between the pair. In that case, it's not a big deal.

Old 06-30-2024, 01:57 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

So just to catch up... I could be lugging the engine. Except it pulls strong from 2500 when cold. However, downshifting and staying above 3000 on hard pulls guarantees no noise regardless of cause.

It could be knocking. Increasing octane from premium will show improvement if that is the case. I can't easily go to low altitude to see that.... And again, downshift and stay higher in fuel map.

It could be valve lash... No big deal... But it's irritating. And after tonight, it pulls strong 2500 and up when cold. When this does happen to me, it's not pulling strong and acting more like I'm lugging. So if that is the case, it's not like it has no effect on performance because it does. So no Bueno.

So with all that said... It's heat related for one. Two, it's only under hard acceleration. And it's not in the whole RPM range, and not every gear... Just 2500-3000 in 3/4/5. (not in 6th much and only cruising) It is under warantee, and I can take it in, but it seems "that's normal" is a common determination. That's where I'm at.

The following users liked this post:
Rocketman83 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 06:24 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Well, I am no expert on knock, but it seems more likely. I had to go to Denver today, good hour long ride. Nothing I could do would produce the issue. Motor was hot... But it was only low 80s in Denver. When I got back home, it was even cooler here. Could not reproduce it at all.

So it's not lugging, cause that is all the time. Even if I stay above 3000k which isn't horrible... It pulled strong all the way from 2300 in any condition.

One other thing that might effect it... I wrapped my head pipes the other day. I did it only for my comfort and it makes a big difference. But I think it also might make a big difference to the engine being too hot... So it was cooler out today than it has been, and my engine may be running cooler than it was... And nothing I could do would cause the issue.

The following users liked this post:
Rocketman83 (06-30-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 12:08 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

So an update... I threw some octane booster in. Ran a couple tanks... I mean that's 10gal. With octane booster, it runs great. Quiet, strong, perfect. It has been cooler than normal here lately so it's been running good. When I was able to get some heat in it, it was running good and quieter, but then I could actually hear it pinging. Bottom line it's not about running it. It's about running it in traffic, hard. It acts like lugging/blogging... But again, cool it pulls hard and strong from 2k up.

So I took it to dealership. I have an appointment to bring it in on the 30th. Regardless, why, it shouldn't be doing what it's doing. They said you have a warantee... Use it. They asked if I have tuned it since my intake and cutting my baffles out... I said no. He said that might contribute... So I was assuming they might try to sell me a tune. I'm half temped if it's just a flash. I'm not buying a SE tuner. I'll get a PV at the end of the year. My wife's trike gas a tune, and I'm curious. Other than that, ya, I have a warrantee. I have my trike and a couple other friends with M8s and they don't get it so let them have a look.

Like I said, it's heat related. But a friend with 107 M8 RG, who has a ton of bike, and moved here from New Mexico said dude... It's not hot here. He has no issues. So we'll see.

Old 07-10-2024, 01:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
They asked if I have tuned it since my intake and cutting my baffles out... I said no. He said that might contribute...
Would have been helpful to know this from the start; the motor is running in a lean condition and they come from the factory on the lean side. If you want to run the bike with a hi-flow intake and exhaust, get the motor tuned. I still believe the motor is detonating and that will destroy a v-twin if not corrected. You can toss the warranty out the window if detonation damages the motor JMHO.

Last edited by djl; 07-10-2024 at 02:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by djl:
Harley1004 (07-10-2024), jake24lt (07-12-2024), skills (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Valve clatter