Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

DIY job gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 04:02 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 636 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
TDC on the compression stroke?
Originally Posted by weekendwrencher
I put the bike in 6th gear and rolled the rear wheel until the rear lifters were moving up and down simultaneously then adjusted the pushrods. Then I let them bleed down for around 25 minutes and was able to spin them freely. Then I rolled the rear wheel again and felt the other set of lifters moving up and down simultaneously and did the pushrod adjustment.

So that would be a "No" ... (TDC on the compression stroke?)

The following 2 users liked this post by Harley_ish:
07UltraGuy (06-18-2024), djl (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:48 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio HD
Easiest for me is just watch the intake pushrod close, then the next TDC for that cylinder is compression.
Yes but you are a "master tech". Us shade tree guys have to have that physical confirmation of compression; we might mistake the exhaust pushrod for the intake pushrod so we take no chances.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
memphisharley (06-19-2024), MotoJockey (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:10 PM
Ohio HD
Road Master
Received 715 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Yes but you are a "master tech". Us shade tree guys have to have that physical confirmation of compression; we might mistake the exhaust pushrod for the intake pushrod so we take no chances.
Well, I don't know about master tech. Where I learned that was in technical automotive classes in the mid 70's. My instructor was in fact a master tech with GM vehicles, mostly he was a Cadillac and Chevy guy, but knew all vehicles very well. He taught that way to get the valves closed to tighten down the rocker arms, and also to adjust solid lifters.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:52 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,202 Likes on 2,238 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisharley
yep...i also do it this way. i put a straw in the spark plug hole and watch it fly across the garage when that cylinder is on the compression stroke.
I remember once using a pencil to measure TDC through the spark plug hole on my old Triumph.

Plenty of ways to skin a fish, or a cat, or a whatever.

Old 06-19-2024, 12:03 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Yup, for me I have to K.I.S.S...... Finger in plug hole to verify compression stroke and plastic Chopstick to verify true TDC. Hasn't failed me yet.........

Old 06-19-2024, 10:17 AM
weekendwrencher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynoking
This is were you went wrong. Roll the rear wheel. Watch the lifters go up and on one cylinder BUT* you adjust the valves on THE OTHER CYLINDER.*.
*Not shouting only emphasizing the mistake and correct procedure. You'er going to go back and hit this right!
🤦‍♂️ what a dumb mistake. I’ll be trying to readjust the pushrods the right way this weekend. We’ll see if that fixes the problem because this likely isn’t the only mistake I made.

Old 06-19-2024, 10:22 AM
dynoking
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Smile

🤦‍♂️ what a dumb mistake. I’ll be trying to readjust the pushrods the right way this weekend. We’ll see if that fixes the problem because this likely isn’t the only mistake I made.
Don't say dumb. You never pretended to be a know it all. It's actually a common rookie mistake. Let's learn, fix, and move on... Git that Hog fixed and report back please!

The following 3 users liked this post by dynoking:
DeeRoe (06-26-2024), memphisharley (06-19-2024), Vernal (07-01-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 08:58 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,050 Likes on 539 Posts

I’ll be trying to readjust the pushrods the right way this weekend. We’ll see if that fixes the problem
How did that go?

Old 06-26-2024, 10:14 AM
Jake707
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Yup, for me I have to K.I.S.S...... Finger in plug hole to verify compression stroke and plastic Chopstick to verify true TDC. Hasn't failed me yet.........
Same for me. Finger over spark plug hole until that cylinder is pushing air out (compression stroke) then I hold a long screw driver in the hole watching it go up until it flattens out and right before it starts to go back down is when I adjust that cylinders pushrods. Never failed me, plus removing the spark plugs helps turn the motor over by hand.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 175 Likes on 107 Posts

Howdy,
Having recently done the same cam kit upgrade...
The how and when to adjust pushrods, base circle, other cylinder, etc... got me in trouble.
I called Bob Wood and he "skooled me", in a polite way. And then I remembered the same trick from back in the late 70's to find TDC on compression using something in the sparkplug hole.
I used a plastic chopstick also. If it gets stuck it won't scratch the piston or valves or cylinder wall. if it gets stuck it will bend.
A screwdriver could get stuck.
did the trick, adjusted, waited, did other cylinder, waited. Put all back together.
Success
I have learned a great deal here at HDF

Quick Reply: DIY job gone wrong