Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

twin cam sumping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 07:57 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts
Default twin cam sumping?

does sumping cause overheating. i have low oil pressure at idle and my head temps are reaching a max of 290*.
i'm going to pull the cam plate and check the pump orientation and check the oil pump orings. i know i installed the oring inside the cam chest and not on the actual pump. do you guys install the oring in the chest or on the pump.

2012 flhx

thanks

Old 03-18-2024, 08:08 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisharley
does sumping cause overheating. i have low oil pressure at idle and my head temps are reaching a max of 290*.
i'm going to pull the cam plate and check the pump orientation and check the oil pump orings. i know i installed the oring inside the cam chest and not on the actual pump. do you guys install the oring in the chest or on the pump.

2012 flhx

thanks
Install the o-rings in the cam chest.

Also check the internals of the oil pump, sometimes excessive crank runout will cause wear or even breaking of the rotors. And check that the bypass valve in the cam plate is not stuck.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Sumping will definitely result in higher operating temps and the bike should feel like you are dragging an anchor; sluggish perfromance. JMHO but 290* head temp would not keep me awake at night; have seen 350*. Why not check for sumping before opening up the cam chest so you know is the motor is sumping or not? I install the oring on the "snout" of the pump; to easy to displace or otherwise damage the o-ring if installed in the crank case when you can't see what you are doing. For extra sealing at that port, I also install the same oring used on the oil pan drain plug on top of the thicker oring; have been doing that for years.

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:08 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
SI install the oring on the "snout" of the pump; to easy to displace or otherwise damage the o-ring if installed in the crank case when you can't see what you are doing.
There are sometimes different ways to do things, that in the end all work fine, and @djl is a much more experienced mechanic than I am, but just to clarify why I prefer to put the oil pump o-ring in the cam chest is that the "snout" of the oil pump chamfered at the end, that will help it find its way without snagging the edge of the o-ring. The outside edges of the o-ring bore in the cam chest are much sharper so I think its more likely to catch the o-ring and possibly even shave a bit of from if you dont hit the opening dead straight. Also some assembly lube on the o-ring will make things easier.

Just my 2 cents, I might be completely wrong, would not be the first time

Old 03-18-2024, 11:05 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Sumping will definitely result in higher operating temps and the bike should feel like you are dragging an anchor; sluggish perfromance. JMHO but 290* head temp would not keep me awake at night; have seen 350*. Why not check for sumping before opening up the cam chest so you know is the motor is sumping or not? I install the oring on the "snout" of the pump; to easy to displace or otherwise damage the o-ring if installed in the crank case when you can't see what you are doing. For extra sealing at that port, I also install the same oring used on the oil pan drain plug on top of the thicker oring; have been doing that for years.
so, you install the smaller oring after installing the oil pump oring on the snout.
yeah..the 290* is with my mighty mites running and while moving and the bike normally runs a max of 264* and thats in slow moving traffic. and the bike it definitely low on power. i already drained the oil and removed the cam cover but not the cam plate.
also, there is a very distinct smell like gear oil burning and the only difference in the oils i'm using is the walmart 20w 50w oil i'm using for breakin. plugs look great and no sign of anything burning. i normally use castrol for oil and redline in the tranny and redline shock proof in the primary.
i can smell it even with everything buttoned up. it stinks something awful.

thanks

Old 03-18-2024, 01:08 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 726 Posts

You'll know as soon as you crack the cam case if it's sumprng or not by the amount of oil trapped there. I had the same issue when I did my cams a year or so ago, I picked the wrong O-ring from the kit for the pump "snout". The ID matched and fit perfect, but the OD was too small and caused a gap. I never saw it because I immediately put the ring on the pump, never trying it in the engine case. My suggestion is to fit the O-ring in the case opening first to make sure it's correct, then for install leave it on the pump during insertion to avoid pinching.

I agree on what's been said, the bike had no power. It started to climb in revs but then hit a wall. It stank like oil, and it was running hotter than normal.

memphisharley (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

so, you install the smaller oring after installing the oil pump oring on the snout.
yeah..the 290* is with my mighty mites running and while moving and the bike normally runs a max of 264* and thats in slow moving traffic. and the bike it definitely low on power. i already drained the oil and removed the cam cover but not the cam plate. also, there is a very distinct smell like gear oil burning and the only difference in the oils i'm using is the walmart 20w 50w oil i'm using for breakin. plugs look great and no sign of anything burning. i normally use castrol for oil and redline in the tranny and redline shock proof in the primary. i can smell it even with everything buttoned up. it stinks something awful.

thanks
Yes to the oring question; maybe over kill but does seal the connection between pump and case. How much oil drained from the cam chest? If the motor is sumping, there will be oil in the crank case. Removing the pipe plug from the bottom right side of the motor case will allow that oil to drain out. If more than 4-6 oz, the motor is probably sumping. Be careful with R/R of the pipe plug. A little heat will help but if it won't loosen with with a reasonable application of torque, leave it alone. Once out, use some pipe thread sealant to reinstall and do not over tighten; it is a tapered pipe plug that can crack the case if over tightened.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
memphisharley (03-18-2024), pgreer (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 02:31 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
You'll know as soon as you crack the cam case if it's sumprng or not by the amount of oil trapped there. I had the same issue when I did my cams a year or so ago, I picked the wrong O-ring from the kit for the pump "snout". The ID matched and fit perfect, but the OD was too small and caused a gap. I never saw it because I immediately put the ring on the pump, never trying it in the engine case. My suggestion is to fit the O-ring in the case opening first to make sure it's correct, then for install leave it on the pump during insertion to avoid pinching.

I agree on what's been said, the bike had no power. It started to climb in revs but then hit a wall. It stank like oil, and it was running hotter than normal.
exactly my symptoms...and stinks to holy hell.

@djl , when i opened the cam chest there was clearly more than 6-8oz. it was more like 16oz or more drained from the cam chest.

Last edited by djl; 03-18-2024 at 03:55 PM.
snake_eyes (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 03:56 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

exactly my symptoms...and stinks to holy hell. @djl , when i opened the cam chest there was clearly more than 6-8oz. it was more like 16oz or more drained from the cam chest.
She is sumping badly; now gotta find out why.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:35 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
She is sumping badly; now gotta find out why.
i'll be pulling the cam plate this week and checking the pump and plate as well as the oring. is there anything else that could cause it other than the oring.

Quick Reply: twin cam sumping?