Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Metallic noise at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 04:46 AM
nosoyantix
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Metallic noise at low RPM

Hello,
First, apologice for my english.

Im a CVO ultra classic 110SE 2007 owner with 31.000Miles.
Last day going back to home a metallic noise started in my engine. It sounds more at low/lowmid RPM, when engine its running at 2000rpm it dissapears or stabilize. I tried to locate it as broken support but didn't found anything. I suspect it sounds in the right level, oils are ok.
On video air filter is dismounted to check valve screws.
Any idea where to start checking? i have some knowledge and tools but open random parts its crazy for me.

Regards.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4
video_2024-01-16_11-44-54.mp4 (8.26 MB, 44 views)

Last edited by nosoyantix; 01-16-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:59 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Juan.

You need a two ear mechanic's stethoscope with a prob on the end to isolate the noise. Sounds travel all around and using your had or a screw driver on one ear doesn't do very well.

Once you here the noise the loudest at, look here what's under that area

Wear often happens on the tension shoes running on the chains that drive the cam shafts. Caution.. just guessing here.

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...avidsonmc/2007

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-16-2024 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:42 AM
nosoyantix
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Juan.

You need a two ear mechanic's stethoscope with a prob on the end to isolate the noise. Sounds travel all around and using your had or a screw driver on one ear doesn't do very well.

Once you here the noise the loudest at, look here what's under that area

Wear often happens on the tension shoes running on the chains that drive the cam shafts. Caution.. just guessing here.

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...avidsonmc/2007

Thanks for the response.
good idea use estheteoscope, but im a little "scared" for start engine if that could make bigger problem (A metallic part finally broke and generate a big issue) Oil pressure its ok, may be this its a good signal. Talking with a friend he points to a chain tensor "sometimes when it broken generate similar chirp and stop when high rpm strengh the chain).

Open oil pump case its only a few screws (exhaust and cover) no?

The following users liked this post:
porkster (01-18-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:29 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by nosoyantix
Yes, remove exhaust and remove the cam chest cover.

There are two tensioners to check, the one behind the cam plate is a bit tricky. A small dentist mirror can be helpful.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:19 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nosoyantix
Thanks for the response.
good idea use estheteoscope, but im a little "scared" for start engine if that could make bigger problem (A metallic part finally broke and generate a big issue) Oil pressure its ok, may be this its a good signal. Talking with a friend he points to a chain tensor "sometimes when it broken generate similar chirp and stop when high rpm strengh the chain).

On my Softail TCb, with OEM exhaust, all I needed to do was loosen the exhaust shields to gain access to the cam case cover bolts.

I had a little trouble popping cover off. I had replaced the faux timer cover years back. I drilled a hole in the center of the little old cover and put it on temporarily and used my sliding hammer to pull cover.

If it's the tensioners, that style has a pin looking part that breaks through center of delrin shoe.

Look through this thread for what wear looks like and can happen to that style of tensioner.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ing-chain.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-16-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:23 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

could be fuel especially with the winter change over in formulations. at idle and low speeds, the fuel charge is not mixed very well.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:06 AM
nosoyantix
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
On my Softail TCb, with OEM exhaust, all I needed to do was loosen the exhaust shields to gain access to the cam case cover bolts.

I had a little trouble popping cover off. I had replaced the faux timer cover years back. I drilled a hole in the center of the little old cover and put it on temporarily and used my sliding hammer to pull cover.

If it's the tensioners, that style has a pin looking part that breaks through center of delrin shoe.

Look through this thread for what wear looks like and can happen to that style of tensioner.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ing-chain.html
Stupid question, when i open these covere oil will be lost? or it pass inside pipes? For avoid leaks on floor.
Originally Posted by bustert
could be fuel especially with the winter change over in formulations. at idle and low speeds, the fuel charge is not mixed very well.
Wow, you are meaning if i change/add new fuel can be the solution? I live on a not extreme winter zone.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:26 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The cam case doesn't have a lower drain since at bottom is where oil pump return picks up the oil from crank case side.

The oil level is up to the main bearing of the crank case in the cam gallery side.

So, yes, about a couple cups of oil will pour out. After checking mine and starting it up to get oil normal, it dropped oil level on the dip sick about a 1/4" (6.5 MM)

Over here is US, we get a different blend of fuel in the winter in Northern States.

But, remember, I was guessing what could cause noise. I actually didn't hear much noise.

I would think bad fuel would cause a ping spark knock running down the road under load.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-16-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:25 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

On the 110's they had lifter issues because of excess valve spring pressure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lonewolf176:
Ohio HD (01-16-2024), Schex (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 06:14 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
OP, post a video of the noise.
He did, doesn't sound good, I'm thinking like Lonewolf176, lifter issue.

Quick Reply: Metallic noise at low RPM