Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Piston skirt wear and cylinder condition.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023 | 08:59 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04fxd92
I never noticed a noisy engine and the bike ran really well. The bike has 22k. I’ll definitely be taking the cylinders and pistons into the shop to see what I need. I’m really hoping I can keep the cylinders and bore them to accommodate a 95” unless that’s what’s in it already.

Thanks for the detailed response.
I went to 98" with nikal sil. When I brough them back to revperf with the marks, they said they would replate and new pistons for $100 less than a new S&S kit. So I bored my old ones. Next time I can bore them .010 over, or whatever. Should never have went with nikal sil for that reason. Granted this 50k miles ago, and some bikes will never see that,

I really can't tell a big difference between 98 and 95. Maybe if I rode them back to back I could.

The following users liked this post:
04fxd92 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2023 | 11:37 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Straight wound valve springs indicate pre '05 model and pistons do not look OEM; no coating as typical on OEM pistons. So I am thinking motor work has beed done. Looks like heat, too much timing, poor piston to cylinder fitment and/or sloppy break in; over bore and new pistons for sure. Don't think crank issue is in play but won't hurt to check runout as part of the rebuild process.

The tooling in the intake tells me the heads have been ported to some degree. Post a pic of the chambers/valves. Ported heads would also indicated a possible previous over bore so cylinders may not be reusable. LIke Dan89 says, find a competent machinist familiar with Harleys and he can sort you out on piston/cylinder requirements for the rebuild.

OP, When you said that on both piston the rear skirts were scored, are you saying on the exhaust side of the piston?. If so then I would think the wear being on the thrust side would indicate an improper piston fit.. I don't not see any discoloration of the piston to indicate hi temp or not enough clearance and you did not mention if the other side of the skirt had any scoring.. And yes the motor is not stock.. Send to a local machine shop to get measurements to see if cylinders are usable..

Old 02-16-2023 | 05:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

The heads are not stock. They've been ported and have bronze guides. I'd expect that the springs are not stock either.. It looks as tho the pistons might have a slight dome or tapered squish. Maybe Dave Mackie / Hemi perf build? I agree with DLJ, too much timing and fuel.

Does the flywheel have runout or are you just asking?

Old 02-20-2023 | 11:58 AM
04fxd92
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy

OP, When you said that on both piston the rear skirts were scored, are you saying on the exhaust side of the piston?. If so then I would think the wear being on the thrust side would indicate an improper piston fit.. I don't not see any discoloration of the piston to indicate hi temp or not enough clearance and you did not mention if the other side of the skirt had any scoring.. And yes the motor is not stock.. Send to a local machine shop to get measurements to see if cylinders are usable..
Yes both pistons on the rear which would mean an exhaust side on the rear cylinder and intake side of the front cylinder (correct me if I’m wrong of course) I’m dropping everything off today at a machine shop and I’ll know a little more about what’s going on. I’ll update the post later today. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-20-2023 | 12:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Whatever happens do a correct break in with the new stuff and be very sure the timing is right. That was typical heat scuffing on the pistons I saw there.

Old 02-20-2023 | 06:19 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

When maching shop that bored my orginal saw my second set , he just said thrust side or something. My guess is it is the downside of harley motor, and the angles. But he didn't seem surprised. had it at 34k and again at 90k, same bike. Curious what they say. Different jugs and pistons.

Though this last time I was getting skirt damage, CP pistons. I brought it back to rev perf thinking something was wrong. They offered to replate for $900. But not like you can believe the supplioer.

Old 02-20-2023 | 06:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
When maching shop that bored my orginal saw my second set , he just said thrust side or something. My guess is it is the downside of harley motor, and the angles. But he didn't seem surprised. had it at 34k and again at 90k, same bike. Curious what they say. Different jugs and pistons.

Though this last time I was getting skirt damage, CP pistons. I brought it back to rev perf thinking something was wrong. They offered to replate for $900. But not like you can believe the supplioer.

Revperf screwed up the cylinder finish.. It's one reason why CP pistons wore down. The other issue was top ring being molly filled..

Old 02-20-2023 | 07:14 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Revperf screwed up the cylinder finish.. It's one reason why CP pistons wore down. The other issue was top ring being molly filled..
I wouldn't go back to them. When I was quoted price for S&S crank to go 103, they included welding and balancing. I contacted S&S they did not agree,

For $100 more I could have got S&S cast iron kit. Instead I bored my old ones, and when the time comes, I'll bore them cheap again.

Stock ones did have that same wear.

For my riding, I can't tell difference between 95 and 98. IMO 95 is tried and true.

override (Yesterday)
Old 02-21-2023 | 07:40 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
I wouldn't go back to them. When I was quoted price for S&S crank to go 103, they included welding and balancing. I contacted S&S they did not agree,

For $100 more I could have got S&S cast iron kit. Instead I bored my old ones, and when the time comes, I'll bore them cheap again.

Stock ones did have that same wear.

For my riding, I can't tell difference between 95 and 98. IMO 95 is tried and true.
So is 98, 103. Probably more so. If you want to use that excuse that is up to you. It is not a valid one to most anyone else.

Old 02-21-2023 | 07:45 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04fxd92
Thanks for the detailed response.

You are correct the bike is an 04 dyna. I plan to have the flywheel checked, trued, and welded. Hopefully I can reuse the cylinders. Luckily I have a shop locally who can do all the machining.
An S&S crank is the way to go. No welds, no crap rod ends...the list goes on. Do it right.
One of the main reasons I did my 107 build was to address all the weak points. The crank was the biggest one.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-21-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Clammy (02-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Piston skirt wear and cylinder condition.