Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Has anyone seen this kind of CAM Lobe Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022 | 02:31 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by eighteight
IMO it`s a failure of the surface hardening on the cam lobe.
Been seen here on various engine models and cam brands

With a high lift cam I`m discounting the "insufficient spring pressure" I expect it has VERY strong springs and this accelerated the failure

JMO
this would be my thought as well.
m

Old 08-25-2022 | 08:13 AM
siconic
|
2nd Gear

With a high lift cam I`m discounting the "insufficient spring pressure" I expect it has VERY strong springs and this accelerated the failure

JMO
This was my exact thought, since the metal looks "soft". I used to do engine work, on 305's and such. I have yet to see this in real life, but I was told sometimes cams can not be hardened properly and cause longevity issues.

Old 08-25-2022 | 08:17 AM
siconic
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Probably needs a new crank now. What caused it?
Wish i knew what caused it. Yeah, after looking for cams and at dyno charts for the 120R, almost no one seems to run them, since I could only find a handful. This was a second hand bike though, 1 owner prior to me. He loved this bike and dumped so much money into it, and bought it new on top of that. So, rather than motor swap, I want to keep it like he had it when he passed since this bike was his passion, and he had it setup exactly how he wanted it. Every little piece was thought out by him, and he spent big money on a part if it was hard to find.

Old 08-25-2022 | 08:37 AM
wfolarry
Tourer

Usually when the wear is on the nose of the cam it's the spring binding. Looking at the other lobe on the same cam it's showing some wear as well so it could be a soft cam, bad spring or a combination of both. I would inspect everything before reassembly.

Old 08-25-2022 | 05:11 PM
ridingout
Road Captain

Originally Posted by siconic
Wish i knew what caused it. Yeah, after looking for cams and at dyno charts for the 120R, almost no one seems to run them, since I could only find a handful. This was a second hand bike though, 1 owner prior to me. He loved this bike and dumped so much money into it, and bought it new on top of that. So, rather than motor swap, I want to keep it like he had it when he passed since this bike was his passion, and he had it setup exactly how he wanted it. Every little piece was thought out by him, and he spent big money on a part if it was hard to find.
I would look at the springs and check for coil bind also. There is probably a better choice of camshafts that would be easier on the valve train. Maybe talk to a reputable builder such as hillside or someone to help you pick a cam. Lifters, a lot of recommendations for Wfo Larry's lifters. I have a set waiting for me to pick a cam for my m8. Good luck getting it figured out and back together.

Old 08-25-2022 | 10:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wfolarry
Usually when the wear is on the nose of the cam it's the spring binding. Looking at the other lobe on the same cam it's showing some wear as well so it could be a soft cam, bad spring or a combination of both. I would inspect everything before reassembly.

99C lifters?

Old 08-25-2022 | 11:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

JMO
Yup, Sifton shovel cams had a bad habit of cratering out like that.