Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Base Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022 | 09:13 PM
tdrglide
Road Captain

[QUOTE=seehogs;20749483]You can remove cylinder with piston still in it. Just a little more work to get piston clip and pin out then back in while
not exposing rings. New base gasket, new pin clip and a stock head gasket should b good for 40 k miles.

With only 30k miles, that's what I would do. Might take an extra set of hands

If using a stock base gasket, spray with copper kote. Otherwise cometic

Old 08-01-2022 | 11:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
Six strokes in forward, 6 strokes in reverse rotation = 12.

No, won't hurt a thing to use the old rings... except excessive oil usage, excessive blow-by and wondering why the air cleaner is always soaked with oil and where all that light blue smoke is coming from when stopped at a light at night.

As to whether the cylinders need to be measured, if they have a lot of miles or damage then yes, I agree. But if all was well and not high miles, using the same pistons and new rings with a scuff hone works just fine.

I've done it too many times, (both ways) and know what works and what doesn't. Re-using rings in a glazed cylinders does not work.

If the OP follows the ignorance displayed so far on this thread, I sincerely feel bad for him. In the vernacular of Forrest Gump - that's all I have to say about all this.
If the rings are seated to the bore, why not reassemble them.. I guess it means what "glazed" means.. If these isn't any cross hatch still visible in the cylinder, then yeah, hone and re-ring. I would guess your 6 strokes would work as you are simply trying to put some scratches back in.. There has to be some crosshatch for the rings to rotate in the grooves. None and the gaps can line up and you've got burner/bleeder.

I have gotten away with simply pulling the cylinder adding a gasket and reinstalling but the cylinders still had some crosshatch even tho the cylinder is smooth..