Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help with valve sizes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 PM
B13xelimited
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with valve sizes

I have a 94 xlh1200 basket case that i picked up with a blown up top end. I got oversize pistons and am re-boring the jugs 0.020 over for the new wiseco 10.5:1 pistons. I also am trying to find some valves for it.

Here's the catch: Motor was torn apart when I got it. I am missing an exhaust valve from one of the heads. Sent them out to a local machine shop with the jugs. He says the heads have oversize valves and have had some minor porting. I cant seem to find the valve sizes he is telling me they are.

Intake: 2.020"
Exhaust: 1.611
Stem size: .310 (5/16")

anyone know who made oversize valves for stock 1200 heads? I purchased a complete valve/spring kit but they are too small as they are the standard size.
I would like to keep these heads but am having trouble identifying the valves and springs that were previously installed.

Has anyone run into this?

This is the only thing holding me up from putting it back together.....

thanks
Nick

Old 07-22-2022, 04:45 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Replace the valve SEATS and use the valves you`ve already bought

Last edited by eighteight; 07-22-2022 at 05:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chopper_man (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by B13xelimited
I have a 94 xlh1200 basket case that i picked up with a blown up top end. I got oversize pistons and am re-boring the jugs 0.020 over for the new wiseco 10.5:1 pistons. I also am trying to find some valves for it.

Here's the catch: Motor was torn apart when I got it. I am missing an exhaust valve from one of the heads. Sent them out to a local machine shop with the jugs. He says the heads have oversize valves and have had some minor porting. I cant seem to find the valve sizes he is telling me they are.

Intake: 2.020"
Exhaust: 1.611
Stem size: .310 (5/16")

anyone know who made oversize valves for stock 1200 heads? I purchased a complete valve/spring kit but they are too small as they are the standard size.
I would like to keep these heads but am having trouble identifying the valves and springs that were previously installed.

Has anyone run into this?

This is the only thing holding me up from putting it back together.....

thanks
Nick
Not a sportster guy but the valve sizes sound like AVnV.. I've run those in Delkron TC heads. Exhaust is really a 1.610..
If shiny they might be Ferrea..

Add: if you look at the end of the valve it might say AV2020 and AV1610.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-22-2022 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add
B13xelimited (07-22-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

a 2.020 intake valve is huge on an xl with a displacement of only 1200 cc. IIRC the biggest that fits on the stock seat is 1.850 or something, Hammer performance has lots of these specs on their website in the cylinder head porting section.
That being said, you might want to think about the entire build and see where you are at and where you want to be. a 2.0 or larger intake valve is going to need lots of corresponding parts to have it work well and my still end up with a bike more suited for the track than the street. If you do not want to do a lot of Home work on this, send your heads out to Hammer and get their Smash or Crush set up and put it together. They have done lots of homework so you dont have to. I could explain it all to you here, but it might sink in better if you read it on their site. Their work is very good and they are very nice guys to deal with, I do frequently.
hope that helps.
m

B13xelimited (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:29 PM
B13xelimited
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update...

So while my mahcinest did a great job at re-boring and honing the jugs, he was on the crack pipe when he looked at the heads.

I tore the thing down tonight to pull cams (no way stock cams with huge valves). To my surprise, the cams were stamped 1d 2d and so on. STOCK cams.... I pulled the valve set and micrometers out. They are stock size valves and the kibble stainless valves I already bought and had packaged up to return. Match up perfectly....

So... Since I have that cams out, any suggestions on an upgrade?

Build is stock heads with 5.85 springs and stainless valves. 10.5:1 domed wiseco pistons 0.20 over. Dyna s ignition and drag pipes.

Looking for something street able but with a bump in power. I plan on commuting 45 minutes each way to work on it so it needs to not be a "track bike"

I'll look over the countless cam threads again but maybe someone has. Similar set up as mine. Just looking for suggestions.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:56 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

Andrews N4 cams and send the heads to Hammer or another quality head porter and make sure that they properly ported and assembled. Then pick a different exhaust system as the drag pipe will just kill all your other improvements. Stock head pipes with good mufflers are once choice, Bassani Pro street's are a good choice if you can still get your hands on them or finally a quality 2-1 pipe, such as Supertrapp Super Meg. Your choice in exhaust will make or brake the whole deal. A Mikuni 42 carb and you will have a fun, potent and reliable ride for many years to come.
m