Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Hylift 2313se lifters - how many turns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:59 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Hylift 2313se lifters - how many turns?

Did a cam change a couple weeks ago and ran into a few problems. Have a 128” m8 and swapped out the S&S 475 for a S&S 540. Did not originally plan on changing lifters, as bike had very little noise prior to swapping cam. Then I ran into a problem getting pushrod adjusted, and removed lifters to see if there were any issues. They were stock lifters so I decided to change them now rather than later. Installed set of Johnson Hylift 2313se lifters. I did run into issue with adjusting pushrods - lifters must not have been pumped up much, and after taking lash out of PR and adjusting, I could still turn PR’s by finger. I had done this several times on old TC and never could spin by finger after lengthening PR’s. I figured I screwed up somewhere and tried several more times with same results. Finally, I saw this is pretty common with new lifters not being primed, and to make adjustment and when starting bike, the lifters will pump up.

I did this and just started bike today after finishing putting it back together. Even after idling a little while, I am still getting more clatter from lifters than I had before cam swap. Not horrible, but more than I like. The lifters came with no instructions. How many turns are recommended with the 2313se? I have seen recommendations from 2.5 to 4 turns. I am running SE tapered PR’s (24tpi) and adjusted to 3.5 turns or 21 flats. Maybe they will quiet down more after running, but don’t want to run bike much until I get it retuned next week. If pushrod adjustment is within acceptable range, and I make adjustments just to lessen PR noise, can this affect the bike’s tune in any way? If not, I would probably wait until after tune and try adjusting them again. Honestly, the whole bike just does not sound very good, since it is not tuned properly so I might just be focused on it

Last edited by txphatboy; 04-25-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:32 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,594 Likes on 1,817 Posts

3.5 turns should put you .145" deep into the lifter travel, certainly deep enough. May be worth pulling the sparkplugs and removing the pushrods, then cranking the starter in 10 second bursts, looking for oil bubbling out of the top of each lifter. Once you see oil consistently coming out of the top of all 4 lifters, reinstall/readjust the pushrods, checking for tightness & spin after time delay, replace the plugs, and try again.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Rabies (06-11-2024)
Old 04-26-2022, 05:47 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,554 Likes on 840 Posts

Helpful chart.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:38 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks for the tip. If noise continues, I will try that. I have seen some people say the 2313se lifters can take 20 minutes running to quiet down. I am going to idle it more before tuning and see if it quiets down. I probably did not give it enough time.

I keep reading posts about Hylift lifters being different and not needing as many turns. Then I see guys recommending 4 turns with S&S cams. What is different about the Hylift, other than the “s” versions being slow bleed down?

Last edited by txphatboy; 04-26-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:34 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Thanks for the tip. If noise continues, I will try that. I have seen some people say the 2313se lifters can take 20 minutes running to quiet down. I am going to idle it more before tuning and see if it quiets down. I probably did not give it enough time.

I keep reading posts about Hylift lifters being different and not needing as many turns. Then I see guys recommending 4 turns with S&S cams. What is different about the Hylift, other than the “s” versions being slow bleed down?
Larger reservoir, stiffer spring as I recall.
I've always gone 24 flats with the s&s quickie pushrods and 2313SE lifters. Never had a wait for them to quiet down because they were never noisy in the first place.
I'm **** about pre-filling them, pushrods, rocker arm assemblies too tho.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:51 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Just installed these myself. No clatter at all at first start up. Was surprised.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:31 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Sometimes you will need to take a 20 minute ride (easy not hammering) to pump up the lifters..

The following users liked this post:
Hammerhead Pat (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 06:04 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Larger reservoir, stiffer spring as I recall.
I've always gone 24 flats with the s&s quickie pushrods and 2313SE lifters. Never had a wait for them to quiet down because they were never noisy in the first place.
I'm **** about pre-filling them, pushrods, rocker arm assemblies too tho.
What is thread count on the S&S Pushrods?

Old 04-26-2022, 06:04 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by QC
Just installed these myself. No clatter at all at first start up. Was surprised.
What pushrods did you use and how many turns? After lengthening my pushrods 3.5 turns, I could still turn them by hand, so I guess my lifters did not have much oil in them when installed.

Last edited by txphatboy; 04-26-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:32 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I have S&S standard pushrods. 3.5 turns. Yes, I was surprised that I did not have to wait long for bleed down to be able to spin the rods. Confused me at first, so I redid it.
I put S&S lifters in my Softail a while back and it took 20 minutes for them to bleed down. I was expecting the same of the Hylifts.

Quick Reply: Hylift 2313se lifters - how many turns?