Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

CP Bullet Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022 | 10:23 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member
Default CP Bullet Pistons?

I'm back on track with my build. I picked up my bottom end Sunday morning and had it all buttoned up in the bike Monday with the covers back on both sides. Bob really hooked me up with the the last S&S crank before the price hike. They're retailing for like $1700 bucks now and 10 weeks out! I paid just under $1250 and like $1800 for the whole job including completely rebuilding the balance assembly.
Got my top end shipped back on Tuesday minus the pistons that somehow missed the trip but are supposedly on the way?
My heads are boxed up again and going to another Porter and will be done in 3 weeks or so and flow 315cfm and come complete with a flow sheet and spring pressures. Theyll also have 1.98 7mm intake valves rather than 1.940.
But I'm also contemplating having the the 107 BB redone using different pistons with different cylinders if necessary. Reason is this porter doesn't think too highly of CPs bullet pistons and he's a very well known builder here and considered one of the best head porters in the country. He suggested sending them off to be coated if I do use them as added insurance.
There's quite a few coatings available, including different ones for the tops and skirts and I'm wondering what the best way would be since I'm leaning in this direction as opposed to using different pistons either in my cylinders or new ones if mine have been bored too big.
I may just call CP Carrillo and see what they have to say. I see they have several different ways to go about it too.
I know CPs are pretty popular here and I'm not trying to start a war but I'm wondering if anyone else here has had problems with CPs bullet pistons? What's the best way to have them coated?

​​​​​​This is the coating recommended by my head porter if I use the pistons that are supposedly coming...Line2Line

​​​​​

Old 02-03-2022 | 10:37 AM
wilburbill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
I'm back on track with my build. I picked up my bottom end Sunday morning and had it all buttoned up in the bike Monday with the covers back on both sides. Bob really hooked me up with the the last S&S crank before the price hike. They're retailing for like $1700 bucks now and 10 weeks out! I paid just under $1250 and like $1800 for the whole job including completely rebuilding the balance assembly.
Got my top end shipped back on Tuesday minus the pistons that somehow missed the trip but are supposedly on the way?
My heads are boxed up again and going to another Porter and will be done in 3 weeks or so and flow 315cfm and come complete with a flow sheet and spring pressures. Theyll also have 1.98 7mm intake valves rather than 1.940.
But I'm also contemplating having the the 107 BB redone using different pistons with different cylinders if necessary. Reason is this porter doesn't think too highly of CPs bullet pistons and he's a very well known builder here and considered one of the best head porters in the country. He suggested sending them off to be coated if I do use them as added insurance.
There's quite a few coatings available, including different ones for the tops and skirts and I'm wondering what the best way would be since I'm leaning in this direction as opposed to using different pistons either in my cylinders or new ones if mine have been bored too big.
I may just call CP Carrillo and see what they have to say. I see they have several different ways to go about it too.
I know CPs are pretty popular here and I'm not trying to start a war but I'm wondering if anyone else here has had problems with CPs bullet pistons? What's the best way to have them coated?

​​​​​​This is the coating recommended by my head porter if I use the pistons that are supposedly coming...Line2Line

​​​​​
I used Line2Line on some Big Block Chevy pistons. They do excellent work!

Old 02-03-2022 | 04:41 PM
Ron Coburn
Intermediate

i use cp bullets un-coated never had a problem

Old 02-03-2022 | 05:19 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

Nothing wrong with the CP bullet pistons.set at the proper clearance & installed/broke in right there is no reason for any coatings.(a coated piston will have the same problems as a uncoated piston if installed or broken in wrong) i would love to know what your new guy has against CP bullet pistons & what he thinks are better.

Last edited by prodrag1320; 02-03-2022 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fuelmoto (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022 | 06:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

I have used Performance Coatings for piston coating; they do ceramic and powder. I also have used CP pistons on several builds with no issues.

https://www.performancecoatings.com/internal-coating

Old 02-03-2022 | 07:36 PM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Well the coating, specifically line2line which is a sacrificial coating more or less, is added insurance against improper clearances being set by not actually measuring off the shelf pistons and just setting them "on the loose side" based off of advertised size or past experience of the mass produced, off the shelf pistons. It does change the break in or more specifically, the heat cycles necessary for this coating to "wear in" and find it's sweet spot.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-03-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2022 | 07:30 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

[QUOTE=60Gunner;20427435]Well the coating, specifically line2line which is a sacrificial coating more or less, is added insurance against improper clearances being set by not actually measuring off the shelf pistons and just setting them "on the loose side" based off of advertised size or past experience of the mass produced, off the shelf pistons. It does change the break in or more specifically, the heat cycles necessary for this coating to "wear in" and find it's sweet spot.[/QUOT
every set cylinders bored here is bored to the exact piston kit sent with them,yours are fine.Unless he gave you the FW's at cost,S&S FW's haven't been 1200.00 for 10 years and do not cost 1700.00 now (I got a set of early B & late A FW's last week,so their not "out 10 weeks" either).BTW,great idea for your new Porter to to come up with the idea of using 1.980" valves over the 1.940",lol

Last edited by prodrag1320; 02-04-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2022 | 09:19 AM
Flo-rida
Road Warrior

Running cp's in my 98bb with problems

Old 02-04-2022 | 09:55 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=prodrag1320;20428047]
Well the coating, specifically line2line which is a sacrificial coating more or less, is added insurance against improper clearances being set by not actually measuring off the shelf pistons and just setting them "on the loose side" based off of advertised size or past experience of the mass produced, off the shelf pistons. It does change the break in or more specifically, the heat cycles necessary for this coating to "wear in" and find it's sweet spot.[/QUOT
every set cylinders bored here is bored to the exact piston kit sent with them,yours are fine.Unless he gave you the FW's at cost,S&S FW's haven't been 1200.00 for 10 years and do not cost 1700.00 now (I got a set of early B & late A FW's last week,so their not "out 10 weeks" either).BTW,great idea for your new Porter to to come up with the idea of using 1.980" valves over the 1.940",lol
Actually they're the valves you sent me. Oh and that spring kit you overcharged me for? $110 online. And you wanted to buy my cams and thrott!e body for me? Yeah right.
So you found some left over FWs. Good for you. How 'bout my pistons? How can you send a 107 kit without the f'n pistons? Maybe because you didn't actually have them yet?
You better hope to God this goes good from here. Maybe if you spent half as much time doing the work people pay you to do as you do arguing here or making whiny *** phone calls about work you didn't get and never were.
Keep diggin' yourself a hole. I'm more than happy to shovel the dirt.

​​​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-04-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2022 | 10:13 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

You better hope to God this goes good from here.
​​​​​
You never cease to amaze me

The following 3 users liked this post by eighteight:
Fat11Lo (02-07-2022), jbarr1 (02-04-2022), prodrag1320 (02-05-2022)

Quick Reply: CP Bullet Pistons?