Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Tc3 cam chest and crank runout

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 10:45 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyne79
Pistons and cylinders were from Fuel Moto. They are stock cylinders bored out. Fuel didn’t make a difference, even tried some octane booster. Pulled 4 degrees of timing and still had some pinging. Also tried adding fuel through the Quick Tune on the Power Vision, but still had pinging. I’ll have to get pictures of it, but the gear rotors look clean. No obvious sign of damage but I do need to inspect it further. The pump has a magnet that’s caught some metal, as you can see in the pic. It also has a screen in the pickup.
Remember that all it takes is one little thing off to make it ping. Looking at the top of the piston it will show small pits around the outer area of the piston if it was pinging as much as you say. From your pictures I cannot see it so how about a picture of the piston top. The cylinder wall and piston skirt issue typically are a heat related issue and come from one of the two things I stated before. This is just why it's so important to use coat piston in today's engines. If it was a race engine I would not worry about it so much, but for a street engine in today's world there is just no excuse for running a non coated piston today.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (07-23-2021)