Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Twin cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:06 PM
Alexhsrq
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Could this be because motor hasn't ran at all really?

Old 01-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Alexhsrq
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Update installed new injectors and verified correct wires and bike still misfire stuttered and stalled. Decided to check codes again and only high efi this time no lean from front 02 sensor. I restored factory tune and fired up and no misfire no stutter no stall. Going through heat cycles now. A little back fire on decel but with no tune thats expected. So fuel moto did tell me they didn't have an exact tune for the upgrades I have done to my bike but it would be close. It really couldn't be farther off in my opinion. So factory tune it is for break in/heat cycles then ill wait on wes at cycle rama for the dyno tune when he is ready in a couple weeks. Thank you all for your help and this has been a great learning experience for me. I guess sometimes its best to slow down and not over react and go through the little things.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alexhsrq:
98hotrodfatboy (01-02-2021), djl (01-03-2021), Max Headflow (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Why not let cycle rama do the break in on the dyno? Probably the best way to do the break in...its gotta be way better than running the factory tune on a performance build.

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (01-05-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 AM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 249 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexhsrq
Update installed new injectors and verified correct wires and bike still misfire stuttered and stalled. Decided to check codes again and only high efi this time no lean from front 02 sensor. I restored factory tune and fired up and no misfire no stutter no stall. Going through heat cycles now. A little back fire on decel but with no tune thats expected. So fuel moto did tell me they didn't have an exact tune for the upgrades I have done to my bike but it would be close. It really couldn't be farther off in my opinion. So factory tune it is for break in/heat cycles then ill wait on wes at cycle rama for the dyno tune when he is ready in a couple weeks. Thank you all for your help and this has been a great learning experience for me. I guess sometimes its best to slow down and not over react and go through the little things.
So FM sent you a bad map? Your installation work was 100% correct?

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Why not let cycle rama do the break in on the dyno? Probably the best way to do the break in...its gotta be way better than running the factory tune on a performance build.
My local dyno guy told me to do my break-in period before getting tuned.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 455 Posts

Sorry if I missed it, but did you confirm the cam to cam timing marks behind the plate?

Old 12-30-2021, 05:55 PM
MikieT
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexhsrq
Thanks for the replies. I will triple check cams but I believe they are spot on. Push rods were intake inside exhaust outside. Can tune for now with power vision from Fuel moto but I will be putting it on the dyna at cycle rama in a couple weeks. I did the front cylinder push rods with timing marks 180 apart lined up which now I have found that not to be tdc for front cylinder. Maybe they weren't on the bottom lobe of cam completely? Am I correct on the timing marks looking off for front cylinder? Thanks again
he's right, I'm doing my cam chain tensioner, and replace with ss quickie push rods, and before I removed them in front , rotated 180 and front cylinder was not at top , using the screwdriver and rotate tire in gear, his pic is exactly what I have for front cylinder being at top