Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Bike struggling to idle when restarted shortly after shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,791 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Default Bike struggling to idle when restarted shortly after shutting off

Greetings,

I ride a 2013 Switchback and have been experiencing some weirdness with my bike. If it matters, I'm using a V&H FP3 and installed Woods 222 cams not too long ago. However, this was happening pre new cam install.

If I go for a ride, then shut off the bike, then shortly after that before the bike has a chance to cool down, if I restart, it's struggling to keep the revs in the normal idle range. Revs drop to as low as 600'ish rpm and the engine will sometimes shut down. It's seems to be about 5-10 seconds and then the revs normalize at idle. An example would be getting gas. I've been running the bike for a while and the engine is warmed up at normal running temp. Shut off the bike, fill up, and then restart and the bike is struggling to catch sometimes.

Any idea what is causing this?

Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Your bike is equipped with an IAC Valve , mounted on top of the throttle body . Get yourself a can of throttle body cleaner , place a rag inside and shoot some cleaner up into it . You can cycle it by turning the ignition switch as your cleaning it . You've probably got a lot of " gunk " built up in there , cleaning it will only improve your idle . While your at it , clean the butterfly and seat as well and make sure your filter is clean too .

You may want to check for error codes as well , a bad crank position sensor will cause this issue as well . After you clean the IAC , if the symptoms are still there , that's what I would check next .

Hope this helps , quick easy fix .. keep us posted

Last edited by MyFavRk; 09-16-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:00 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Tune is off for hot starts. You have several tables to address this. Cranking fuel, IAC crank steps and IAC crank steps.

While cranking: Does rolling the throttle open help? If so, you can add some IAC steps. If not, you can try upping cranking fuel in that area. If it starts good but then idles down and then starts idling at target idle. IAC crank to run steps. After start there is a certain amount of time it takes to get out of start mode to crank to run to actually running on VE's. That is where I would address this.

My disclaimer. I am not very familiar with Fp3. So, I am not sure these tables are there but they are in the better tuners. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Max Headflow (09-19-2020), rauchman (09-20-2020)