Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

next step build...best way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Please dig them out! I would love to see the differences!!! Maybe I'll start a (dyno comparison/overlay charts) thread as to not hijack this one, I have a few myself...
The run comparing exhaust is attached; red=Bassani Prostreets 2:2; blue=Python 3 2:1; green=D&D Fatcat. This is not a full on tune, we tested several different cams, straight up and +4, and throttle bodies chasing 120/120 numbers but they just were not there. The heads were good but probably were the limiting factor; I am thinking a set of worked 110 heads;same compression might have gotten us there.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The run comparing exhaust is attached; red=Bassani Prostreets 2:2; blue=Python 3 2:1; green=D&D Fatcat. This is not a full on tune, we tested several different cams, straight up and +4, and throttle bodies chasing 120/120 numbers but they just were not there. The heads were good but probably were the limiting factor; I am thinking a set of worked 110 heads;same compression might have gotten us there.
What displacement, cam, bike, cr, heads and intake? FC had the quiet baffle? BTW, I do like the Prostreets on a dyna but you really need ear plugs.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What displacement, cam, bike, cr, heads and intake? FC had the quiet baffle? BTW, I do like the Prostreets on a dyna but you really need ear plugs.
98", CR595, '05 Deuce, 11.2 static, Dorfman;s Pro Street heads, Kury 57mm T/B. Pretty sure the FC was running the quiet baffle. I much prefer the 2:2 sound from the Prostreets over the drone of a V&H Propipe at cruise.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
98", CR595, '05 Deuce, 11.2 static, Dorfman;s Pro Street heads, Kury 57mm T/B. Pretty sure the FC was running the quiet baffle. I much prefer the 2:2 sound from the Prostreets over the drone of a V&H Propipe at cruise.
Thanks for the additional info.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 AM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

I’ve talking to folks and have had more Cams suggested than I could ever work through. Every thing from tw6h to the sns625 and several in-between. I think I really have it narrowed down to either the 585 s&s or the 590 Tman cams set at 10.8

lots of advice but I have yet to find anyone willing to talk about the different ways these two cams feel on a bike. Every time I ask that question the thread dies. Any one here willing to tackle that question? This goes beyond the dyno sheet to what it’s really like to ride.

Last edited by johnwesley; 07-29-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnwesley
I’ve talking to folks and have had more Cams suggested than I could ever work through. Every thing from tw6h to the sns625 and several in-between. I think I really have it narrowed down to either the 585 s&s or the 590 Tman cams set at 10.8

lots of advice but I have yet to find anyone willing to talk about the different ways these two cams feel on a bike. Every time I ask that question the thread dies. Any one here willing to tackle that question? This goes beyond the dyno sheet to what it’s really like to ride.

If you want a flatland cam.. Soft down low but kicks you in the butt, on the mid range, use the 585.

If you want a smoother pull from low to top go for the 590.

This of course will depend on the pipe you chose but those are general characteristics of the cams, Depending on the pipe, one will likely do better than the other. As far as which pipe, you really don't know until you've tried them all.

The following users liked this post:
johnwesley (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:08 AM
johnwesley
Tourer

If you want a flatland cam.. Soft down low but kicks you in the butt, on the mid range, use the 585.

If you want a smoother pull from low to top go for the 590.

This of course will depend on the pipe you chose but those are general characteristics of the cams, Depending on the pipe, one will likely do better than the other. As far as which pipe, you really don't know until you've tried them all.
thanks for that!!! First answer on how they feel. The pipe is a Fatcat, I was going to go with the big boar baffle, but joe said the quite would Tun out better with good off idle manners, where the BB would give a couple more hp up top but not have good manners till 2,000 rpm. So I chose the quite baffle. Seems they are on back order though so if there is a better pipe for this combo I’m all ears. Just don’t want the loud of something like short shots.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnwesley
thanks for that!!! First answer on how they feel. The pipe is a Fatcat, I was going to go with the big boar baffle, but joe said the quite would Tun out better with good off idle manners, where the BB would give a couple more hp up top but not have good manners till 2,000 rpm. So I chose the quite baffle. Seems they are on back order though so if there is a better pipe for this combo I’m all ears. Just don’t want the loud of something like short shots.
I really don't know which pipe / baffle combo will work well for and FXD on a motor that size. I've run the older long Bassani and the newer short one on a high compression 116 and they seem to work well. I've run the FC on a bagger (both 95, 103) but the pipes are not the same as a dyna. For me the quiet baffle made more power up top and down low with the quiet baffle while the big bore made more mid-range. I've seen others get different results especially on a Dyna. The old timers I knew would say you build the motor then find / build the pipe that the motor likes. Since you probably don't want to spend a ton of money on Dyno time and pipes. I'd look at different vendors that have used the cam in a similar bike and see what pipe they used. I would imagine Fuel moto or Tman would have dyno sheets.

The following users liked this post:
johnwesley (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 11:37 AM
johnwesley
Tourer

I really don't know which pipe / baffle combo will work well for and FXD on a motor that size. I've run the older long Bassani and the newer short one on a high compression 116 and they seem to work well. I've run the FC on a bagger (both 95, 103) but the pipes are not the same as a dyna. For me the quiet baffle made more power up top and down low with the quiet baffle while the big bore made more mid-range. I've seen others get different results especially on a Dyna. The old timers I knew would say you build the motor then find / build the pipe that the motor likes. Since you probably don't want to spend a ton of money on Dyno time and pipes. I'd look at different vendors that have used the cam in a similar bike and see what pipe they used. I would imagine Fuel moto or Tman would have dyno sheets.
they both agree fat cat is their go to pipe and the Boarzilla is to much pipe for that set up. On the fat cat baffle depends more on sound desire and if that top number is most important.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:13 PM
johnwesley
Tourer

I’m Trying to keep this in one place. I thought the fat cat would be the go to exhaust and after several calls Decided on the louvered baffle.

The problem is I’ve had the exhaust on order for a month now, I was just told at least another month before they come in. So what other exhaust could be used and make decent horsepower?

I’m looking at the road rage with the long muffler. Open to other options. Seems no one has the long primaries that the Fatcat has. It is possible to get the Boarzilla just not sure what I would give up going that route.

@djl
that python looks like it did well but not so easy to find

Last edited by johnwesley; 08-18-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: next step build...best way to go?