Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

next step build...best way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I buiilt a 98" motor last year close to the parameters the OP outlined in his last post but with more compression; made 115/115. We ran four pipes in our dyno testing and the Fatcat was the worst performer; Bassani Prostreets (2:2) was the top dog; V&H Proipe and Python 3 were next and all ran better than the Fatcat.
i know this is a horrible reason for buying a fat cat. But I got home Monday from a 2,000 mile trip and had the head pip break in the defender. D&D is a quick ship from their place to mine and I couldn’t find any other pipe that would get here before I leave again on Saturday for a 4,000 mile trip. Which is also one reason I would like to keep ccp about 195. Even on this last trip I had to run 87 on one tank. Bike was fine but another guy with a hot 117 pinged like crazy. I want to try and avoid that as I’m out in boonville a lot and at times no good fuel. I normally run a diet of 91

Old 07-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I buiilt a 98" motor last year close to the parameters the OP outlined in his last post but with more compression; made 115/115. We ran four pipes in our dyno testing and the Fatcat was the worst performer; Bassani Prostreets (2:2) was the top dog; V&H Proipe and Python 3 were next and all ran better than the Fatcat.

What baffle did you have in the FC? I've seem motors do poorly with the performance baffle and do much better with the quiet. Especially on a smaller motor. Cam will make a difference also. It's a bit of a mistake to assume that one pipe on one build will work the same on all others.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwesley
How this sound for a decent setup. Heads flowing 290+@28 say 280-300 mark with 1.9 intake 1.6 exhaust compression set 10.4-6 with a IC at 41-46 and 240-246 duration. Lifting between 570-625. 98” with a 58 mm Tb. I have a Fatcat on order since my current exhaust decided to go from 2n1 to 2n2 with a cracked header. Remember this is in a Superglide 05 model.
With the head flowing that much, go for the short side of the duration.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What baffle did you have in the FC? I've seem motors do poorly with the performance baffle and do much better with the quiet. Especially on a smaller motor. Cam will make a difference also. It's a bit of a mistake to assume that one pipe on one build will work the same on all others.
The pipe was an earlier Fatcat with the quiet baffle; don't know if any design changes were made to the later Fatcat pipes. I was not suggesting that the OP would experience the same results, just sharing my experience. Cam is the CR 595; CCP at 212psi. Both the tuner and I were surprised that the Fatcat performed as it did. I have the comparo charts buried in my computers archives and would dig them out if interested. We wanted to try a Rush Wrath but couldn't find one we could borrow.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:52 PM
johnwesley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
With the head flowing that much, go for the short side of the duration.

what I was looking at is the sns 585, 570, or the woods 6h possibly the cr595. Depending on who does the heads I get different cam recommended. Which is why I put the range I did. They all fall in that area. One builder said the tw8 until I told him I did multiple day trips riding all day. Then he retracted that saying the ticking may get to me, seems it’s noisy in some bikes.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

i know this is a horrible reason for buying a fat cat. But I got home Monday from a 2,000 mile trip and had the head pip break in the defender. D&D is a quick ship from their place to mine and I couldn’t find any other pipe that would get here before I leave again on Saturday for a 4,000 mile trip. Which is also one reason I would like to keep ccp about 195. Even on this last trip I had to run 87 on one tank. Bike was fine but another guy with a hot 117 pinged like crazy. I want to try and avoid that as I’m out in boonville a lot and at times no good fuel. I normally run a diet of 91
Not dissing the Fatcat, just sharing my experience. I am in south Texas and we are seeing 100+ daily this time of year. I haven't been out on the bike recently but have been out when ambient temps were mid to high 90s, CCP 212psi running 93 octane with no ping issues at all. My '02 FLHT all bore 107" with 190+ccp ran 87 octane year round. Both tuned by the same tuner and I am firm believer that if the build components play well together and the tune is spot on, one can run ping free high compression motors but that's JMHO.

The following users liked this post:
johnwesley (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 03:03 PM
johnwesley
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Not dissing the Fatcat, just sharing my experience. I am in south Texas and we are seeing 100+ daily this time of year. I haven't been out on the bike recently but have been out when ambient temps were mid to high 90s, CCP 212psi running 93 octane with no ping issues at all. My '02 FLHT all bore 107" with 190+ccp ran 87 octane year round. Both tuned by the same tuner and I am firm believer that if the build components play well together and the tune is spot on, one can run ping free high compression motors but that's JMHO.
that last trip out was 100+ as we cruised through pampa and up through dalhart. I’m sure your right it’s all in the tune. That 117 stg IV was not a bike I would like. To picky.

ive has one guy want me to go with the high flow 1.9 heads and the t-man 625. All of those cams are so close it makes it a little difficult

Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

that last trip out was 100+ as we cruised through pampa and up through dalhart. I’m sure your right it’s all in the tune. That 117 stg IV was not a bike I would like. To picky.

ive has one guy want me to go with the high flow 1.9 heads and the t-man 625. All of those cams are so close it makes it a little difficult
I like Tman's cams; ran the 600SM in the all bore 107 with good heads and she went 110HP/124TQ and ran cool and quiet. Don't over look the Cyclerama cams; good stuff there.

The following users liked this post:
johnwesley (07-22-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:23 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The pipe was an earlier Fatcat with the quiet baffle; don't know if any design changes were made to the later Fatcat pipes. I was not suggesting that the OP would experience the same results, just sharing my experience. Cam is the CR 595; CCP at 212psi. Both the tuner and I were surprised that the Fatcat performed as it did. I have the comparo charts buried in my computers archives and would dig them out if interested. We wanted to try a Rush Wrath but couldn't find one we could borrow.
Please dig them out! I would love to see the differences!!! Maybe I'll start a (dyno comparison/overlay charts) thread as to not hijack this one, I have a few myself...

Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 PM
johnwesley
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
I like Tman's cams; ran the 600SM in the all bore 107 with good heads and she went 110HP/124TQ and ran cool and quiet. Don't over look the Cyclerama cams; good stuff there.
well I have it on the list for sure kind of got it narrowed down a bit to cr595 or tman 590 unless joe just feels it’s best to run the 585sns. He’s tuning it for me.

Quick Reply: next step build...best way to go?