Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil Flow Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 AM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Oil Flow Issue

Tried posting this in the Oil section. Lots of views but no advice. Hoping for better luck here. Thanks!

My '04 Wide Glide has recently started having an issue. The oil light comes on, I check the oil level and it shows no oil. Ride it a bit farther and the oil light goes off and the oil level is fine. Rinse and repeat.

I've since changed the oil and filter. Didn't see any debris in the oil. Before I do an oil pump change I am wondering if there are other culprits that could be causing this. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:12 AM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambeaux
Tried posting this in the Oil section. Lots of views but no advice. Hoping for better luck here. Thanks!

My '04 Wide Glide has recently started having an issue. The oil light comes on, I check the oil level and it shows no oil. Ride it a bit farther and the oil light goes off and the oil level is fine. Rinse and repeat.

I've since changed the oil and filter. Didn't see any debris in the oil. Before I do an oil pump change I am wondering if there are other culprits that could be causing this. Appreciate any help you can provide.
Sounds to me like your oil is draining away in to the cam case area while the bike sits. Once the engine has a chance to scavenge all the oil out of the cam case and up in to the oil tank everything appears normal. Look in to a diagram for the oil circuit to determine where oil can leak by in to the cam case area. Likely a "check ball" in the cam plate not seating fully allowing a gravity drain. I have a similar issue where the oil tank drains down over a period of a couple of months. It's not a big deal as long as the scavenge pump is working and returns the oil to the tank in short order. (less than 1 minute from cold start up) I'd suggest getting a pressure gauge rigged in first. Jersee customs gauge setup comes to mind. That may help you determine if your pump is worn out. 32 to 38 PSI is normal engine up to temperature, cruising oil pressure.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:28 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Need a little more information. Is the motor stock? How many miles? Exactly when does this happen, i.e., at cruise? cold start? Details will help.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:11 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Need a little more information. Is the motor stock? How many miles? Exactly when does this happen, i.e., at cruise? cold start? Details will help.
There's about 50K miles on it and it is a stock engine. I've only ridden it a few times since the problem started. The first time was the day after a long ride. Light came on, oil was low. I rode to a gas station to get oil. By the time I bought the oil the level was good again. Later in the day light came on and checked the oil, nothing on the dipstick. Put some oil in and rode a bit then light went off. Checked oil when I got home and it was fine. A little high but ok. Changed oil and filter before riding again. The same thing happened each time I have ridden it since. Never far since I don't want to damage the engine. Last time I took off it was ok but after 10 minutes the light came on so I rode home.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 PM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

I saw your other post too- it could be the oil pump- you might have to take the cam cover off to take a look. What i dont understand is how the pump is draining the tank- where is that oil going? Thats alot of oil! 3 quarts right? Could be a scavenging issue in the pump.
Or maybe an oil tank venting isssue?

Last edited by RDHIGH; 02-25-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:14 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

I would benwanting to inspect the tensioners and oil pump. Sounds liken the scavange side mighf have an issue.
m

Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

kiss it
check hoses if that are old
another is is vapor lock, this can happen when the bag is lower than the engine and you over-fill the bag. this usually occurs after adding free flowing components and such and usually on sustain higher speeds.
another issue could be the breather valves, hd needs diff''l pressure to help move the oil around.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Don't disagree with anything previously posted; however, the next time the light comes on and the OP checks the oil and it doesn't read on the stick, pull the crank case plug and see how much oil comes out of the sump. There shouldn't be more than 3 to 6 ounces, max, drain out. If more, time to pull the cam chest cover and start looking around.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Alan Stewart
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Superglide and my oil light does not come on at all.I thought it was the pressure switch so I changed it.It does not show any codes on the on board dyno. If it is just the light can one single light be changed. It does not come on when I run the dyno on board nor does it show any codes.

Last edited by Alan Stewart; 04-18-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added some info.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,944 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Mine did this last year. However, it was on my 96 springer. If the check ball isn't seating oil runs into the sump while the bike sets. Then you check it and the oil is low, so you add. Next check and it's high because oil was scavenged out of the sump. Oil was always in the sump on my bike. Tried seating a new ball in the oil pump, no dice. Replacing the oil pump with an S&S is the only thing that took care of the problem and it was cheaper than a new motor.

Quick Reply: Oil Flow Issue