Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Kit stage III (29893-07B) with cnc ported heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
hello
watchin se catalog I see two tables that i dont undertand. In the catalog 2012 says that the correct pushrod perfect fits its 18400-03 ( stock size) for CNC ported heads & stock, but this change since 2015 catalog too the 18402-03 (-.030)
They will change something? I want the perfect fit, but Im not sure wich one use, I think the correct one is the 18400-03 kit. The adjustable pushrods from SE are a good option, if I in the future want a change of cams? Any issues with the adjustable kit?
thanks.
As I understand things so far, you don't need to change push rods since you are using the .045" head gasket and even if you used the .030" head gasket you could use your stock push rods which would just add more preload to the lifters which you would do with the HD adjustable push rods (18404-08). The adjustables would come in handy should you change cams in the future. I have used them in both my all bore 107" and 98" motors in my two bikes.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 AM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
As I understand things so far, you don't need to change push rods since you are using the .045" head gasket and even if you used the .030" head gasket you could use your stock push rods which would just add more preload to the lifters which you would do with the HD adjustable push rods (18404-08). The adjustables would come in handy should you change cams in the future. I have used them in both my all bore 107" and 98" motors in my two bikes.

Ok, but the 184000-03 are the same size as the stock pushrod, with better performance i think no?
Thanks regards

Old 01-05-2020, 12:05 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Ok, but the 184000-03 are the same size as the stock pushrod, with better performance i think no?
Thanks regards
A push rod is a push rod. You are not understanding valve train "stack up" height which is the distance from the lifter cup to the rocker arm which includes head gasket thickness and cam base circle. The only variable in your plan is the head gasket thickness which is only .015". Even if you use the .030" head gasket, this only means the lifter preload will increase from .100" to .115" and most builders will set preload even deeper, like .135", so your stock push rods are fine. I don't want to go into the weeds on this but a lifter has .200" of travel and factory valve train stack up height sets lifter preload in the middle of lifter travel, .100" so setting a little more preload compresses the stack up height and minimizes the possibility of valve train noise.

JMHO but there is no "performance" advantage in purchasing the "perfect fit" push rods at stock length over retaining your stock push rods but if that makes you happy, go ahead; your bike, you get to decide.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:16 PM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
A push rod is a push rod. You are not understanding valve train "stack up" height which is the distance from the lifter cup to the rocker arm which includes head gasket thickness and cam base circle. The only variable in your plan is the head gasket thickness which is only .015". Even if you use the .030" head gasket, this only means the lifter preload will increase from .100" to .115" and most builders will set preload even deeper, like .135", so your stock push rods are fine. I don't want to go into the weeds on this but a lifter has .200" of travel and factory valve train stack up height sets lifter preload in the middle of lifter travel, .100" so setting a little more preload compresses the stack up height and minimizes the possibility of valve train noise.

JMHO but there is no "performance" advantage in purchasing the "perfect fit" push rods at stock length over retaining your stock push rods but if that makes you happy, go ahead; your bike, you get to decide.

Thanks for help! With this info. I think ITs better stay with the stock. I dont want to hear noise of the calve train.
Whats tour opinion about the high-capacity tappets of SE? Or also keep my stock ones.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

No SE tappets, please. Replace stock with S&S Standards or Premiums; if budget allows, Premiums.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:48 PM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
No SE tappets, please. Replace stock with S&S Standards or Premiums; if budget allows, Premiums.
​​​​​​

Perfect! But in this combination of cams and head isnt too much necessary right? Thanks for all

Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

​​​​​​Perfect! But in this combination of cams and head isnt too much necessary right? Thanks for all
Not necessary but a good idea to replace the OEM lifters with a better lifter and SE does not mean better but S&S does.

The following users liked this post:
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE (01-05-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:37 AM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate

[Quote = DJL; 18781312]. No es necesario, pero una buena idea para sustituir a los levantadores de OEM con una mejor levantador y SE no significa mejor, pero S & S hace [/ quote]

Hello DJL.

finally Im going to install in the 103 kit the se forged piston high compression kit (10.5:1) with the se 585 cams. Also install the ACRs .
I have a doubt with the pushrods, i can use the stock ones also right? Because in the catalog se, says use 18400-03 with cnc ported heads ( its the stock Size) i buy the highlift jhonson b2313se lifters

whats your opinion to use this cam in a dyna?
It will be dificult to tune with the sept?
thanks!

Old 07-10-2020, 05:38 AM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate

Hello DJL.

finally Im going to install in the 103 kit the se forged piston high compression kit (10.5:1) with the se 585 cams. Also install the ACRs .
I have a doubt with the pushrods, i can use the stock ones also right? Because in the catalog se, says use 18400-03 with cnc ported heads ( its the stock Size) i buy the highlift jhonson b2313se lifters

thanks!

Old 07-10-2020, 05:42 AM
MARCOS BERMUDEZ JORGE
Intermediate

Hello DJL.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Kit stage III (29893-07B) with cnc ported heads