Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2004 Twin Cam 88- Cams and Gear Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:39 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,947 Likes on 2,849 Posts

As usual djl is providing sound advice

my back story: back in 02 my friend and I had 99 models and his spit out broken needles from the inner cam bearings and the shoes were quite worn. The outer bearings “appeared” to be fine. Given the understanding of this problem back then we blamed the entire chain drive set up and were determined to eliminate future issues. Ordered 2 510g. Kits and installed. Unknown if 509s were available at that time. Both bikes ran better and seemed to labor less above 4K rpm with a slight increase in power. Smoother less “tight”
mine ran fine until my recent upgrade to compensate for taller 2:88 final drive
my friends performed well for 6 years before he succumbed to prostate cancer
we cleaned and rinsed his cases but did not split the cases

Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
As usual djl is providing sound advice

my back story: back in 02 my friend and I had 99 models and his spit out broken needles from the inner cam bearings and the shoes were quite worn. The outer bearings “appeared” to be fine. Given the understanding of this problem back then we blamed the entire chain drive set up and were determined to eliminate future issues. Ordered 2 510g. Kits and installed. Unknown if 509s were available at that time. Both bikes ran better and seemed to labor less above 4K rpm with a slight increase in power. Smoother less “tight” mine ran fine until my recent upgrade to compensate for taller 2:88 final drive, my friends performed well for 6 years before he succumbed to prostate cancer we cleaned and rinsed his cases but did not split the cases
I forget which year S&S introduced the 509 but I do know, for sure, it was not availble in 2002. Sorrry to hear about your friend; sometimes I think cancer, in one form or another is going to kill all of us. Those motors would labor less above 4K rpms but I am betting the low end suffered which is my only complaint about the 510 cam. If compression is boosted, say CCP up around 195psi, the 510 will wake up a bit in the lower rpm range. Same can be said for the Andrews TW37 which was one of the "go to" bolt in cams for the early TC88 motors as well but it was soft on the bottom like the 510; similar profiles.

The following users liked this post:
Dwroberts54 (01-30-2022)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 AM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the 510 swap was well worth the effort , changed nothing other than cams and bearings at that time.

On the 570 upgrade I did replace lifters and oil pump , I`m still using the stock 1 piece pushrods
To use stock pushrods with the 570, did that require heads being off to get the new ones in?

Originally Posted by Zedbra
I just tore into my TC, wanting to replace the lifters. Ended up going with an entire S&S cam chest. If you are in there replacing cams, I would definitely consider doing the lifters at the same time. And if you stay with chain, then the hydraulic tensioner would be a good idea.

That is what I originally wanted to do, have a bit of a stronger base in there for a cubic inch upgrade later on, but crank runout will need to be checked first if I decide to go that route still.

Originally Posted by djl
JMHO but suggest that the OP save himself some $$ and pass on a gear drive or hydraulic conversion and replace the inner/outer cam bearings and tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners. IMHO, for a cam upgrade to a Stage I motor, the cost/benefit is just not there for a bolt in cam upgrade to a Stage I motor. The early OEM cam plate/pump is quite adequate and the only thing the OP might do is add the Baisley spring for the oil pressure relief valve and perhaps polish up the piston.

Again, JMHO but the 510 cam is not the best choice for a Stage I TC88; the 509 would be a better choice. IIRC, 2004 models were running the "B" lifter, a Delphi unit and the best lifter the MoCo produced and at 12K miles, no need to replace. Additionally, IIRC, the S&S 509 cam has the same base circle as OEM cams, so unless the OP just wants adjustable push rods, there is no need to change. I happen to like adjustable push rods as they allow some flexibility to adjust for valve train noise.

The money the OP can save by keeping things simple would pay for a Power Vision tune; much better than the piggy back tuner. There is no substitute for a proper dyno tune.
Hey DJL, I hear what you are saying about cost effectiveness. When I was building motors for cars, it was the same thing, over camming for the cubic inch and compression could result in a lazy motor down low. That said, I would like to eventually make this motor larger (that was originally the plan for this winter, but with both of my bikes needing maintenance and other things going on, I figured this would be a good compromise since it at the very least needs new tensioners).

The bike has about 80,000Kms on it (not sure what that is in miles, maybe 45,000?) so I want to do tensioners. Is there really no benefit going the hydraulic tensioner route? I don't mind changing just the shoes if thats adequate, but I thought it was the design itself that made this tensioner setup somewhat unreliable?
Also, going with the 510's, even if that should be a bit over camming for the motor, am I good to still just replace the shoes, do the cams, lifters, and adjustable pushrods? I don't 2 up with this bike much, I will be honest, its a bit of my around town hot rod and I am not easy on the throttle, so having a bit of mush down low won't bug me too much if it'll be a bit more of a screamer up top. What ya think? Are there other cams comparable to the 510 that would be a better option?

Thanks for all the advice so far fellas!

Old 12-10-2019, 05:51 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,947 Likes on 2,849 Posts

To mshred: reusing stock pushrods does require removal of the rocker boxes but NOT the cylinder heads.

Kind of a wash, you save time/labor with adjustables but they cost more than the rocker box gasket set.

Just my preference as I was not paying for labor.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts

I don't want to add to your list of to-dos, but at that miles changing the rocker breather elements and checking all that would be on my list while in there.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Its your money man, but way cheaper to just change the shoes to the new CYCO shoes. I had those and also S&S 509 and S&S lifters and S&S adjustablePushrods. Only thing I would do differently if I was to do it again is to get the Quickee pushrods

Old 12-10-2019, 02:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by mshred
To use stock pushrods with the 570, did that require heads being off to get the new ones in? That is what I originally wanted to do, have a bit of a stronger base in there for a cubic inch upgrade later on, but crank runout will need to be checked first if I decide to go that route still.
.510" lift is about the limit for the '04 valve springs, so forget the 570 for this application. Furthermore, even if the 570 lift would work, it is never a good idea to select a cam based on future modifications; cam selection should match up with the existing components.

The bike has about 80,000Kms on it (not sure what that is in miles, maybe 45,000?) so I want to do tensioners. Is there really no benefit going the hydraulic tensioner route? I don't mind changing just the shoes if thats adequate, but I thought it was the design itself that made this tensioner setup somewhat unreliable?
The problem with the early OEM tensioners was the tensioner material, Delron. It was not designed to hold up well under the constant tension from the spring loaded carriers and exposure to heat and oil. The CYCO tensioners are a different material and are designed to operate under those conditions. Replace the OEM tensioner pad with CYCO and check them every 20K miles or so.

Also, going with the 510's, even if that should be a bit over camming for the motor, am I good to still just replace the shoes, do the cams, lifters, and adjustable pushrods? I don't 2 up with this bike much, I will be honest, its a bit of my around town hot rod and I am not easy on the throttle, so having a bit of mush down low won't bug me too much if it'll be a bit more of a screamer up top. What ya think? Are there other cams comparable to the 510 that would be a better option?
Short answer is yes; replace the shoes with CYCO, intall the 510 cams, replace inner and outer cam bearings, and no need for adjustable push rods with the 510 cam but your call. I like adjustable push rods for the flexibility of setting preload to minimize valve train noise. I still like the 509 and the SE204 would work well also; the SE204 is a very underrated cam IMHO. Good luck with the project.

EDIT: Andrews 26 would be another cam option.

Last edited by djl; 12-10-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 AM
mshred
Road Captain

To mshred: reusing stock pushrods does require removal of the rocker boxes but NOT the cylinder heads.

Kind of a wash, you save time/labor with adjustables but they cost more than the rocker box gasket set.

Just my preference as I was not paying for labor.
Does the gas tank need to come off though to remove and reinstall rocker boxes?

Originally Posted by robarosa
I don't want to add to your list of to-dos, but at that miles changing the rocker breather elements and checking all that would be on my list while in there.
Rocker breather elements? I didn't even know there was such a thing, I will look into that! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
Its your money man, but way cheaper to just change the shoes to the new CYCO shoes. I had those and also S&S 509 and S&S lifters and S&S adjustablePushrods. Only thing I would do differently if I was to do it again is to get the Quickee pushrods
How did you find the S&S 509 cam, noticeable bump in power from stock? (even if small)

Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 AM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
.510" lift is about the limit for the '04 valve springs, so forget the 570 for this application. Furthermore, even if the 570 lift would work, it is never a good idea to select a cam based on future modifications; cam selection should match up with the existing components.

The problem with the early OEM tensioners was the tensioner material, Delron. It was not designed to hold up well under the constant tension from the spring loaded carriers and exposure to heat and oil. The CYCO tensioners are a different material and are designed to operate under those conditions. Replace the OEM tensioner pad with CYCO and check them every 20K miles or so.

Short answer is yes; replace the shoes with CYCO, intall the 510 cams, replace inner and outer cam bearings, and no need for adjustable push rods with the 510 cam but your call. I like adjustable push rods for the flexibility of setting preload to minimize valve train noise. I still like the 509 and the SE204 would work well also; the SE204 is a very underrated cam IMHO. Good luck with the project.

EDIT: Andrews 26 would be another cam option.
I was never going to go as far as the 570, was just wondering what the experience was from that user. Seriously over camming, aside from incorrect valvetrain parts, would make for a dog of an engine, I know that firsthand.

I will have to look into these CYCO tensioner shoes. Forgive my ignorance, but I am going to assume that is a brand name?

My only reason for even wanting to go adjustable pushrods is for less labour removing things...To me, this is a Harley, not a drag car motor like I am used to where pushrod length was crucial in making power and not eating the engine up, so valvetrain noise does not bother me lol

Im going to look into those milder grinds that you mentioned....out of the 3, which is your preference? (509, Andrews, SE)

Thanks for all the advice and insight guys, I needed this kinda direction

Old 12-11-2019, 08:30 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

]Does the gas tank need to come off though to remove and reinstall rocker boxes? Rocker breather elements? I didn't even know there was such a thing, I will look into that! Thanks!
No; however, removing the rear breather can be challenging as overhead space is limited but it will come out. No issue installing the new stamped breathers as they are thinner and come with shorter bolts. The HD PN is 17025-03A and the newer breathers are supposed to be more efficient. Inexpensive upgrade so why not include with the rest of the work? If you don't have the service manual for your bike you should get one; the HD manual is the only one worth having.

How did you find the S&S 509 cam, noticeable bump in power from stock? (even if small)
Have never run the 509 but have attached some dyno numbers that will illustrate the difference in performance over stock which is 60HP/70TQ. All are options except the Andrews 48; too much lift. Remember that these are peak numbers and don't represent partial throttle response. The 37 and 510 cams are going to be softer on the bottom than the others because of the later intake close and the general cam profile; they just need a bit more than stock compression to wake up.

I will have to look into these CYCO tensioner shoes. Forgive my ignorance, but I am going to assume that is a brand name?

My only reason for even wanting to go adjustable pushrods is for less labour removing things...To me, this is a Harley, not a drag car motor like I am used to where pushrod length was crucial in making power and not eating the engine up, so valvetrain noise does not bother me lol

Im going to look into those milder grinds that you mentioned....out of the 3, which is your preference? (509, Andrews, SE)
CYCO is the brand; they are a US Seall product. I like the SE204 for your application but you should be happy with either of the three. Adjustable or stock push rods is your call. If you like adjustable, consider the SE tapered quick install (PN 18404-08). The "kit" includes pushrods, tubes, clips and o-rings.

https://twincamtensioner.com/

Quick Reply: 2004 Twin Cam 88- Cams and Gear Drive?