Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Rgajewski
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams

Good morning. I have a 2015 Road Glide Special and I am trying to figure out which cams are the best bang for buck. At the moment I have only dual Vance & Hines slip ons. After the first of the yea I plan on adding Header pipes, Cleaner, and tuner. On my previous Street Glide I had 585 cams. Just curious what fellow riders are using and how they perform. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgajewski
Good morning. I have a 2015 Road Glide Special and I am trying to figure out which cams are the best bang for buck. At the moment I have only dual Vance & Hines slip ons. After the first of the yea I plan on adding Header pipes, Cleaner, and tuner. On my previous Street Glide I had 585 cams. Just curious what fellow riders are using and how they perform. Thanks in advance.
First thing you need to do it figure out where you run the engine at, most of the time you ride. Many buy into look at the numbers and then find themselves wishing they had done something different. Once you define your riding range (RPM) and style, recommending a cam best suited for that would be much easier. Also are you planing on anything else in the engine other than what you've stated.

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 865 Posts

S&S 551 is what I recommended for my Dad on his 14 SG. He's a traditional Harley rider tho, it would fit his riding style.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Rgajewski
3rd Gear

Majority of the time I ride it hard. I cruise around town 4th or 5th gear, probably between 2700rpm-3400rpm. These are guesses lol. Highway I usually run 70-`80mph. puts my RPM's 3000-4000. I just remember my SG would walk off in 6th on the highway running 70-80 and twist.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Majority of the time I ride it hard. I cruise around town 4th or 5th gear, probably between 2700rpm-3400rpm. These are guesses lol. Highway I usually run 70-`80mph. puts my RPM's 3000-4000. I just remember my SG would walk off in 6th on the highway running 70-80 and twist.
On the highway in 6th gear 80 mph = 2900 - 3000 RPM depending on tire used. I would take the time to get the information correct as cam selection depends on it. A stock engine and a bolt in cam isn't going to be a one size does everything. So if you really want your performance to be in the 2500 - 5200 range versus having a cam hat performs best in the idle to 4500 range you need to pick the correct combination. Adding compression and a bigger cam works well but no so much if you add the cam and not the compression. So you limiting what can be done when you are saying bolt in only with tuner and exhaust. Get the needed RPM range settled down first before buying anything, so you get it right the first time.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

A heavy touring bike needs torque in the low-mid area.
That said, an Andrews 48 is tough to beat as far as power, quiet operation, and price.
Large increase in power, right where a big bike can use it.
Scott

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Rgajewski
3rd Gear

I know there is more to it lol. My SG had S&S 106 Big Bore Kit, 585 cams, screaming eagle high flow oil pump, screaming eagle adjustable push rods, Thunder header 2 into 1 exhaust, Tune, and some other stuff. Trying to figure out where I want my RG to be in the end. Fun light to light, but also on long trips.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Are you doing the work yourself? Who is going to tune your bike once the mods are made?

Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I know there is more to it lol. My SG had S&S 106 Big Bore Kit, 585 cams, screaming eagle high flow oil pump, screaming eagle adjustable push rods, Thunder header 2 into 1 exhaust, Tune, and some other stuff. Trying to figure out where I want my RG to be in the end. Fun light to light, but also on long trips.
This'll do just what you are looking to do.
Tame, until it is time not be tame.
110" S&S drop on.
Our HMM Stage III Super Tour Heads
S&S .570 cams
58mm S/E t/body
10.25 cr.
Scott

Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I just hate to see people spend the money several times before they either give up or finally get what they were after. It's much easier to set a real goal before you start buying parts. If you know that your going to only do one thing, that's one thing, but if you plan to make more changes down the road you can buy the first parts that will not give you the best combination to start with but will once the other parts get added later.

Quick Reply: Cams