Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

78 Shovel Front Rocker Oiling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Meatpants
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 78 Shovel Front Rocker Oiling

Hoping someone can help. I had a local shop do some valve work and go through the rest of my top end. I've got the rocker cover back on the head and sitting on the bench. Like the manual says, I blew air through the oil passages to make sure there are no obstruction in the lines. Then I blew air through the rear head bottom fitting, air shot right through to the other fitting that feeds the front rocker , good stuff, but I can't blow any air through the front head oil fitting. Used a compressor and even tried wrapping my mouth around it and ending up popping my ears.

There is no obstruction in the fitting, as I can poke a small straw through it. I understand that oil should be passing into the front rocker to supply oil to front end but it I can't blow air through it, how is the oil pump supposed to move any oil here? Is it possible that it's because of assembly oil just pressuring up the rocker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,010 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Front dead ends with the feeds into the rocker arms no open through port like the rear head. Oil volume to the heads is small, the feed line fitting on the cases is a specific metered size, rockers get enough oil without flooding the heads that way. If it really bothers you pop the front rocker end plug and do the air bit again, you'll see.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Meatpants
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'm usually not this paranoid, but I wanted to make sure I took my time and did this right considering all the $ I put into the top end

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (09-30-2018)