Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

One cylinder running much hotter than the other

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:09 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 3,612 Posts

With out a doubt that's running hotter, you could even have an injector problem or something like a timing issue...

Old 09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

Have you checked for sumping during all of this? I know it should affect both cylinders but just wondering if you’ve checked it. Sorry if you’ve answered this question already in the many threads.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:34 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,924 Likes on 3,583 Posts

Crazy thought but you mentioned this only happens when cruising. Is it possible its an airflow issue for the rear cylinder? And I dont mean the normally less flow because its a V twin, but something severe caused by an accessory you have on the bike?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
With out a doubt that's running hotter, you could even have an injector problem or something like a timing issue...
Injector swap will be part of the diagnostics process as will timing adjustments.

Originally Posted by jbarr1
Have you checked for sumping during all of this? I know it should affect both cylinders but just wondering if you’ve checked it. Sorry if you’ve answered this question already in the many threads.
Interesting that you ask. The builder had a sumping issue with the bike and installed a new oil pump which he said solved the problem. Presumably, there was an issue with the scavenge side of the pump. The bike runs about perfectly so I don't suspect sumping but I don't know much about the topic. How would I check for that?

Apologies if the multiple threads on this build have made things confusing. I've tried to keep each new topic separate from related but distinctly different ones. I figured this would draw the attention of people with expertise in those topics, and it would make the thread more usable (i.e. effectively searchable) for those with the same problem down the line.

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Crazy thought but you mentioned this only happens when cruising. Is it possible its an airflow issue for the rear cylinder? And I dont mean the normally less flow because its a V twin, but something severe caused by an accessory you have on the bike?
That's worth considering, but there are no such accessories on it, and the problem is no better even in cool, moist night-time air.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Blue rear pipe only means that the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front; well known. Compare with the rear pipe on a well tuned, cool running 98" motor making 115/115 numbers.

Trying to attach a timing map for Z and a photo of the pipes on my softail to show that they look similar to his; no worries. The images upload fine but I cannot see the "Insert" button at the lower right hand side of the page; don't know why, never had a problem posting images in the past so I am stumped.:icon_shru:

Last edited by djl; 09-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

No problem on the multiple threads— to check for sumping, remove the plug from the bottom of the crankcase and measure how much oil comes out. Report your findings.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:06 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Blue rear pipe only means that the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front; well known. Compare with the rear pipe on a well tuned, cool running 98" motor making 115/115 numbers.

Trying to attach a timing map for Z and a photo of the pipes on my softail to show that they look similar to his; no worries. The images upload fine but I cannot see the "Insert" button at the lower right hand side of the page; don't know why, never had a problem posting images in the past so I am stumped.:icon_shru:
I had some upload trouble today myself, though ir resolved fairly quickly.

Your word about the color of your pipes is good enough for me, but I sure would like to see that map!

Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Z saw this on Fuel Moto's Facebook and thought of you, lots of good info there

https://www.facebook.com/FuelMoto/?f...-a8716Z4NfgqxQ

Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Trying again but still can't see the "Insert" button at the lower right hand corner. I did manage to "upload" the map but when I uploaded the pipe pic, it wiped out the map. So, map first and pipes second. Well, now I am back to not being able to attach/insert an attachment. Happy to send you the map via email if you want to PM your email address. It is a map for an all bore 107" motor that makes 124TQ/110HP on 87 octane fuel. I do run 93 in south Texas in July through mid September though just to stay on the safe side when ambient temps are 100*+.

I don't know why I can't insert images; have tried on home and office computers, different browsers and still can't figure out why.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Not my area of expertise but reading about both, seems to me the PCV with the ignition module might be more user friendly for the OP but WTFDIK. Still think the OPs issue is timing though.
The PowerCommander literature makes it seem as though the PCIII won't do timing without a separate timing module. There was so much back and forth on this in another thread that I called and asked: it does support timing adjustments, and no separate module is required. Totally understandable that you'd come to the conclusion you did. I confirmed by looking more closely at the app, and saw 2 tables for timing.

Quick Reply: One cylinder running much hotter than the other