Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge: Do you run one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:20 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

You can indeed adjust timing with a Power Commander. If WOT is at 13.8, I’d sure want to know that cruising AFR isn’t also too lean. 13.8 is quite lean for WOT.
Power Vision or TTS are much better tuners in the right hands.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1
You can indeed adjust timing with a Power Commander. If WOT is at 13.8, I’d sure want to know that cruising AFR isn’t also too lean. 13.8 is quite lean for WOT.
Power Vision or TTS are much better tuners in the right hands.
actually, with a Power Commander 3 USB you cannot adjust ignition timing unless you have the optional ignition timing module, which I don't have and is no longer available for my bike.

From what I've learned about DynoJet dyno sniffers, 13.8 is a WOT AFR I am comfortable with. I'm far more concerned about what my part-throttle AFRs are.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:31 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

That is not correct. They never made the ignition module for Harley’s. The timing can be adjusted for each cylinder on HDs. I’ve done it for years— make adjustments-see the results.
You are wise to be concerned about part throttle AFRs but in my opinion, 13.8 is too lean for most all engines at WOT..

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,604 Posts

That is not correct. They never made the ignition module for Harley’s. The timing can be adjusted for each cylinder on HDs. I’ve done it for years— make adjustments-see the results.
You are wise to be concerned about part throttle AFRs but in my opinion, 13.8 is too lean for most all engines at WOT..
If you are adjusting timing with a PC, you are not using the PCIII USB, or you know something Dynojet does not. Apparently there is

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...r_iii_usb.aspx

Last edited by djl; 08-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:41 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

Try to find one that was ever made for a Harley-Davidson. You won’t. I’ve adjusted timing on the dyno using the PC more times than I care to think about. To say it can’t be done is absolutely false news.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Try to find one that was ever made for a Harley-Davidson. You won’t. I’ve adjusted timing on the dyno using the PC more times than I care to think about. To say it can’t be done is absolutely false news.
I'm not about to say you are wrong because you know what you know. All I have to go by is the PC site indicating that the PCIII USB required an optional timing module. As I understand it, the PC-V does perform ignition timing.

Bottom line, all I know here is what I read, but if your experience is different then I'll take another look to see if there's something my tuner and I missed.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Not sure what you mean by "find one that was ever made for a Harley-Davidson" but I ran the DJ PCIII USB on my '05 Deuce when in 95" configuration and I switched to the SERT because timing could not be adjusted with the PCIII USB. It was basically a fueler in that iteration and not capable of adjusting timing. Perhaps we are talking about different hardware/software but I know from personal experience that the DJ PCIII USB that I ran on that motor back in '05 was not capable of adjusting timing and there was no ignition module available for that device then.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:07 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

I don’t care if you believe me or not. Call Dynojet and they will confirm what I say. They don’t make, and never have made the ignition module for HDs. Many of their canned maps have the timing changed. Why would they do that if it didn’t do anything?

Last edited by jbarr1; 08-05-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

I don’t care if you believe me or not. Call Dynojet and they will confirm what I say. They don’t make, and never have made the ignition module for HDs. Many of their canned maps have the timing changed. Why would they do that if it didn’t do anything?
Not a matter of whether or not you are believed and I have never said HD made an ignition module for HDs. As a matter of fact, I so said in my previous but limited the comment to the PCIII because that is the only PC I have personal experience with. What I have said in previous posts, which is true regardless of you protestations, is that when dyno tuning with the PCIII, you cannot "tune" or make changes to the ignition timing. Sure, a different map may have altered timing but DJ but that is not dyno tuninig; it is replacing one map with another which is the only way ignition timing can be altered with the PCIII. Perhaps one of the FAQs and the DJ reply will help clear up things up. The below reply does not relate to the PCIII so you can see even with the PCV, ignition adjustments are very limited and do not exist with the PCIII.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:12 PM
jbarr1
Road Master

You are wrong. Last time I’ll say it. Call Dynojet & they’ll agree with me. I’ve been tuning these for over 20 years—I’m not making this up.
I’m done with this argument.
Sorry to the OP for the thread drift.

Last edited by jbarr1; 08-05-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge: Do you run one?