Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Starting issue after lifter swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting issue after lifter swap.

2009 fatboy with s&s 583 cams, s&s quickee pushrods, s&s premium lifters, V&H Short shots, screaming eagle pro race tuner (orange), screaming eagle high flow intake.
So I had feuling lifters in my bike since last year, one collapsed and I changed them out with s&s premium race lifters without the bleed limiter. Had it all tuned last year before I changed lifters and it ran fine. Sometimes it was hard starting and would die if it was hot if I didn’t let it catch up or get my fuel when starting, after that it was fine. So I changed the lifters out and adjusted the push rods back to 23 flats which is what I thought I had it at when it was tuned. Also noticed when I took the cam chest apart that the timing was a hair off so I adjusted that back to perfect post tune. Now the bike really has trouble starting, floods itself and I have to hold the throttle open to do the flood clear. After it’s started though it runs fine, also starts fine if it’s been running and I stop for gas or something. Well today I tried to start it and it would not start. I cranked it till the battery died. Charged it, bought new plugs and changed them. Cranked it again until the battery was dead, which didn’t take long cause it wasn’t fully charged. It absolutely will not start and I have no idea why. No odd sounds, runs just fine when started, but today it would not start. Idk if I should take it back apart and adjust the pushrods again or what. I’m at a complete loss. I thought about hooking the tuner up to try and see what it said, but I don’t know much about reading it or changing anything about the start up fuel. Just at a complete loss as to why it wouldn’t start. Nothing has changed from 3 days ago until now, just wouldn’t start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-28-2018, 11:20 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Aren't those quickees supposed to be at 24 flats minimum? That would put you at .125 preload on the lifters. I set mines to .140 from advice of some of the builders here when I had some tapping. Maybe you should try that.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,464 Likes on 3,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Fleming
2009 fatboy with s&s 583 cams, s&s quickee pushrods, s&s premium lifters, V&H Short shots, screaming eagle pro race tuner (orange), screaming eagle high flow intake.
So I had feuling lifters in my bike since last year, one collapsed and I changed them out with s&s premium race lifters without the bleed limiter. Had it all tuned last year before I changed lifters and it ran fine. Sometimes it was hard starting and would die if it was hot if I didn’t let it catch up or get my fuel when starting, after that it was fine. So I changed the lifters out and adjusted the push rods back to 23 flats which is what I thought I had it at when it was tuned. Also noticed when I took the cam chest apart that the timing was a hair off so I adjusted that back to perfect post tune. Now the bike really has trouble starting, floods itself and I have to hold the throttle open to do the flood clear. After it’s started though it runs fine, also starts fine if it’s been running and I stop for gas or something. Well today I tried to start it and it would not start. I cranked it till the battery died. Charged it, bought new plugs and changed them. Cranked it again until the battery was dead, which didn’t take long cause it wasn’t fully charged. It absolutely will not start and I have no idea why. No odd sounds, runs just fine when started, but today it would not start. Idk if I should take it back apart and adjust the pushrods again or what. I’m at a complete loss. I thought about hooking the tuner up to try and see what it said, but I don’t know much about reading it or changing anything about the start up fuel. Just at a complete loss as to why it wouldn’t start. Nothing has changed from 3 days ago until now, just wouldn’t start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The pushrod adjustment is not the problem. You can adjust 23 flats or even 28 flats on a 32 tpi pushrods and it will not make a difference in starting... I don't believe the marks on a chain drive line up perfectly and it sounds as if you changed your cam timing. A quick compression test will confirm it. If the cams are off you will see about a 30-35 psi difference in compression between the two cylinders.... Do you have a FSM?

Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Heath Fleming
Novice

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The pushrod adjustment is not the problem. You can adjust 23 flats or even 28 flats on a 32 tpi pushrods and it will not make a difference in starting... I don't believe the marks on a chain drive line up perfectly and it sounds as if you changed your cam timing. A quick compression test will confirm it. If the cams are off you will see about a 30-35 psi difference in compression between the two cylinders.... Do you have a FSM?
they do line up as perfect as possible. I made 100% sure using a ruler and had someone double check. I don’t have a method of checking the compression that I’m aware of, but I do know when the bike was tuned before it was tuned with the timing less than a tick off. What is FSM? Sorry I’m not super familiar with acronyms. And yes for the post before, they are supposed to be at 24 flats, but the bike seems to be happier at 23 for some reason.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Heath Fleming
Novice

It almost acts like it’s not getting any fire, cause it won’t even hit a lick. Like it’s not even trying to start when it always has before.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

If you actually changed your cam timing, then your tune will be off.

Add:
Who assembled and tuned the first time?

As stated you need to run a compression check.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-31-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,464 Likes on 3,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Fleming
It almost acts like it’s not getting any fire, cause it won’t even hit a lick. Like it’s not even trying to start when it always has before.
You mean turning over real fast? Like maybe it has very little compression because maybe the valves are adjusted too much? DO A COMPRESSION TEST.......

Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

Are your 583's EZ start?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice

Update. Found the issue, it was the coil, so we replaced that and the bike started and ran just fine. Rode it for a while post install. Tried to start it today, won’t even act like it’s getting fire. I’m gonna have to do a compression test as soon as I get the chance. Yes it’s 583 ez start. I did the install myself with a mechanic friend of mine. Harley did the tuning and the back came back running strong at 83 HP and 90 tq. Post tune. Now it’s just flooding itself out for some reason as I can smell gas pretty back after trying to start it.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:13 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

First, fix the cam timing.
Second, DO A COMPRESSION TEST.
Report results.

Quick Reply: Starting issue after lifter swap.