Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Surprise! A "name that sound in my TC" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Surprise! A "name that sound in my TC" thread

Hey,
Anyone ever hear a sound in their engine that sounds EXACTLY like an old pushrod V8 with a loose rocker? That clicky-clacky rattle that can't really be pin pointed? The noise is loudest between 1800-3000rpm but is always there.

Took the bike to dealer to see if they could hear it too. Tech took it for a ride and said he could hear what I was talking about but it's super hard to pin point (we agreed engine left side / maybe upper cylinder head?)
They figured since it wasnt a catastrophic noise and wasn't getting worse that I should just ride it and bring it in if it gets worse or the engine wipes out. It's all covered anyways.

The bike is a '17 Prostreet with the 117" kit and 4100kms. If I was deaf I wouldn't know there's an issue cause she runs like a beast. Way more power than my NT that had a 107 FM with a 555 cam.

This isn't my first twin cam and definitely not my first HD. I know the noise isn't "it's a HD it makes noises" kinda noise.

Loose clearance rocker? I don't know what else would make that kind of noise.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:27 PM
bud13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got I think the same sound. Around 2000 rpm mostly on decel. Or on and off the throttle slightly At about 2000 rpms.Can be cruising at about 3000 rpms , then when I let off starts to clicky clacky around 2000 rpms. It can be sitting in my garage and rev it up and down, nothing , no clicky clacky noise! Its a flhtpi. Its got 38000 on it and was told by previous owner it had the cam tentioners redone about 4000 mi. ago. Any ideas would be appreciated ! By the way, Love this site !

Old 07-29-2018, 06:06 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Lol welcome to the twin cam world... its amazing how much quieter my evo is than my TC... Twin Cams clack, Tick and are just plain noisy period. Not to say something on the engine could be off. But even when mine is 100% right its ticking and clacking
. Hell my old shovel with solid lifters was quieter lol

Last edited by nick@nite; 07-29-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Lots of TC top end noise comes from loose rocker shafts.... there is a cure

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by donk_316
Hey,
Anyone ever hear a sound in their engine that sounds EXACTLY like an old pushrod V8 with a loose rocker? That clicky-clacky rattle that can't really be pin pointed? The noise is loudest between 1800-3000rpm but is always there.

Took the bike to dealer to see if they could hear it too. Tech took it for a ride and said he could hear what I was talking about but it's super hard to pin point (we agreed engine left side / maybe upper cylinder head?)
They figured since it wasnt a catastrophic noise and wasn't getting worse that I should just ride it and bring it in if it gets worse or the engine wipes out. It's all covered anyways.

The bike is a '17 Prostreet with the 117" kit and 4100kms. If I was deaf I wouldn't know there's an issue cause she runs like a beast. Way more power than my NT that had a 107 FM with a 555 cam.

This isn't my first twin cam and definitely not my first HD. I know the noise isn't "it's a HD it makes noises" kinda noise.

Loose clearance rocker? I don't know what else would make that kind of noise.
Load the lifters to .140" prior to doing anything else.
Scott

Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Generally if the noise you have depends on RPM only it's valve train. If it changes sound related to load it's drivetrain. A bad lifter will create noise in the head even tho it;s in the cam chest. Hillsides suggestion is good.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM
donk_316
Road Master

I appreciate the reply's. Can't really change lifter preload as the bike is running the warranty friendly 117 kit with the "perfect fit" pushrods or I could adjust them out.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

I had a very similar noise that drove me batty for about a month. Tore apart the cam chest, adjusted lifters, checked exhaust shields and tore apart the primary. Turned out to be my kickstand bumper had shifted and the stand was hitting the primary.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 PM
donk_316
Road Master

So after listening to a few videos with loose rockers or bad lifters, that's not it.
There is no tick at idle like a lifter. There is no harsh click as the rocker videos show.

It sounds just like a loose rocker on a pushrod engine. A fluttery clatter that gets worse on decel.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I'd bet .140" lifter pre-load, would make a giant difference.
Scott

Quick Reply: Surprise! A "name that sound in my TC" thread