Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Surprise! A "name that sound in my TC" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

What valve springs are installed? I'm guessing something pretty tight. If so, nothing wrong with the sound.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Valve springs are stock 110 springs.

The 117" kit comes with the SE perfect fit pushrods but I see in the SE catalog there are 0.030 longer versions that are recommended with the 259E cam. I wonder if the 117 kit comes with the normal length perfect fit or the 0.030 recommended length set... I'll go to dealer today and check

Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM
donk_316
Road Master

Well it turns out the 117 kit comes with the right 0.030 longer pushrods.

I might just go with the SE pushrods and see if I can get 0.140 on the lifters

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 AM
bud13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been doing some research on these rockout rocker bushings. I would say 99% of the guys that installed them are completly satisfied. My question is , Do you need to take the rockers out or can you just take the bolts out of the rockers , put the new bushings and bolts back in , put the boxes back on and your ready to go!

Old 08-02-2018, 09:21 AM
donk_316
Road Master

You pull the bolts, install bushings, reinstall bolt. Done.
But I don't think that's my issue

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM
bud13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your telling me the rockers can stay mounted on the head to install ! What do you think your problem is? Almost sounds like mine, but mine is all stock, so I think.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 AM
donk_316
Road Master

I don't know what the problem is. It's not the rockers as there is no tick tick tick at idle.

I am leaning towards going to an adjustable pushrod right now.

Although realistically, there is nothing to "fix". The bike runs beautifully and is warrantied out the ***.

There is just a noise that shows up that doesn't sound right. I wish I could record it.

The videos of rockerlocker before and after doesn't sound like my engine.

The videos of bad lifters also don't sound like my engine.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by bud13
Been doing some research on these rockout rocker bushings. I would say 99% of the guys that installed them are completly satisfied. My question is , Do you need to take the rockers out or can you just take the bolts out of the rockers , put the new bushings and bolts back in , put the boxes back on and your ready to go!
I answered your PM but here's the info for others...

I always recommend doing the job on the bench. To do it on the bike you MUST make sure all of the support bolts and the breather bolts are loose, so the shafts/supports are free to align themselves as the inserts press in. Also, there is a real possibility that the support plate is crowded up against the bolt, not enough room for the insert to go in & it may mushroom. Plus, there is also an O-ring under each support plate that can & will shift, and should be replaced (included in the kit).

Once you’ve gone that far it really is only a few more minutes to remove the whole assembly and do the job right.

That said, people have done it on the bike, and been successful. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that if you remove any bolts you blow out the oil from the bolt holes. If you install the bolts with oil in the holes it will have nowhere to go & may crack the head. And remember ALL BOLTS MUST BE LOOSE!

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Last edited by ROCKOUT Rocker Products; 08-02-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by donk_316
So after listening to a few videos with loose rockers or bad lifters, that's not it. There is no tick at idle like a lifter. There is no harsh click as the rocker videos show. It sounds just like a loose rocker on a pushrod engine. A fluttery clatter that gets worse on decel.
If it walks like duck...…………………….

What lifters did you install? Noise could be lifter related, lifter not holding prime. Until you pull the rocker covers and check the rocker shafts for witness marks from rotation, you have not eliminated the very common noise generator. No easy way round diagnosing and eliminating these problems, gotta roll up your sleeves and start looking rather than just throwing parts at the problem.;icon_wink:

It would also help those trying to assist by posting a video so we can hear the noise.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
donk_316
Road Master

Roger that DJL.
Lifters are SE 117 kit. The whole engine is 110 upgraded to 117 using the HD kit.

There is no noise at idle. I'll try and record a video of the bike at idle today.

Quick Reply: Surprise! A "name that sound in my TC" thread